Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel pump in camper

Options
  • 06-10-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

fuel pump went twice in our campervan (once on holidays in Italy in august) which is on a 2008 fiat ducato. started the engine on monday night and it has gone again so we will need a new one. does anyone know how much this might cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

wonderworm wrote: »
    fuel pump went twice in our campervan (once on holidays in Italy in august) which is on a 2008 fiat ducato. started the engine on monday night and it has gone again so we will need a new one. does anyone know how much this might cost?

Is that the tank pump you're talking about or the high pressure pump? How do you know its gone?

Bridgevan in the north would have a tank pump/sender unit at your door next day probably €80 - you can be lucky on ebay and get on for €50. If its gone that quickly there probably water, rust or contamination in your tank.

High pressure pump is a different story reconditioned about €250 new probably €800 plus fitting plus fuel filter, plus flushing the entire system. When the high pressure pumps fail they release metal particles which in time will wear out your injectors and the new pump too, the system needs to be completely flushed. If you've gone through two high pressure pumps there was probably contamination in the system and they didn't bother flushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

you must have gotten some watery diesel , I'd be checking your tank is clean before you fitanother pump. .I've never had to replace one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Or maybe you were getting diesel from these lads:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ojkfididgbid/

Diesel is typically 'washed' using waste industrial acids and you can bet they're not titrating it with sodium hydroxide to neutralise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    you must have gotten some watery diesel , I'd be checking your tank is clean before you fitanother pump. .I've never had to replace one..

we reckon that's what happened. the first time it went was on the way back from the west of ireland after i had filled the van with diesel. the fiat dealers the van went to initially told us they had replace the entire fuel filter but when it went again in Italy they told us they hadn't. the fiat dealers in italy said that if it went again we need to replace the entire fuel pump at a cost of approx €500 in Italy. we reckon it will cost us about €800 in rip off ireland. we are trying to source one through uk at the mo.

Advertisement