Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart meters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

"whether or not you were home on the night of the murder"!
    :eek::eek:

What a ****wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Its just a site selling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Apparently the information gathered is broadcast as well. Watch the video and you'll see the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) number on the meter. It is a low-power signal, but could be intercepted from next door if someone there had a device to do so. Then they get to know when you are home or when you are awake.

Scary, huh?
    Not really though.
    How is this any different to the information an observant neighbour would glean by looking out their window? Or indeed, looking at yours.
    I am using the computer and doing laundry right now, so the power company knows from the amount of power being used and the tracking of our patterns of usage in the past, that I am home and awake.

Well, in I put a wash on and my PC is currently downloading something from steam, so I must be at home, right?
    Nope. At work.

Electricity usage cannot be reliably used to determine much about someone being present in the house and to say that it can leads me to believe this person hasn't thought about this very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

ANSI wrote: »
    http://www.thesecretinformationsite.com/home-privacy.html

Is this for real? Is it, or could it, be happening here?
    It's paranoia. They do communicate over the GSM network AIUI - but how else are they going to send the data to the utility company? Carrier pigeons? That's what makes them smart readers - people don't have to come and read them, and they have an idea of how much you are using at what time, which means they can structure the rates to encourage people to use power at quiet times and ease off on busy times, smoothing out the demand profile (making the whole system more efficient). This means cheaper electricity and/or bigger profits for the power companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That vid is nonsense. The meter can record the times that usage occurs but it has no way of knowing what is drawing current. Electric toothbrush my arse.
    Paranoia personified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If it kept the amount of data the video says, I would hate to see the data farm required, the electricity required to run it. By his logic a door bell tells people when you are home or out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If it kept the amount of data the video says, I would hate to see the data farm required, the electricity required to run it. By his logic a door bell tells people when you are home or out as well.

Not to mention your lights - sure they can check whether anyone's home via satellite! :eek:

I hope nobody tells him about the data mining they do with store card data... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Damn,

So now the power company will be able to tell when I'm asleep, at my job or when I'm at home using massive amounts of electricity for when I'm strapped to my mechanical bull wearing my flourescent gimp mask and my boyfriends are wedging dildos in my anus and blasting my buttocks with electric prod-rods.

Advertisement