Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth adding accidental damage to Home Insurance?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I am due for renewal shortly and was wondering if I should just drop the accidental damage cover, costing around 50 euro.

I recently spilled coffee on my laptop and wrecked it, after reading a few posts on here I decided not to claim off insurance. It was insured for €700, it was about 2 years old, The excess was €250. All the advise I got was telling me that is was not in my best interests to claim form the insurance as I would barely get enough back to cover a new laptop and my premium would go up.

With this in mind, what is the point of the accidental damage cover if you are discouraged from using it.

How much would a premium go up following a claim?

Id like some feedback on this before I renew.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

Accidental damage insurance provides cover for amongst other things, dropping an item or spilling a liquid on it, which basically means that you will not be making a claim under the accidental damage section of your policy for anything more than one item. I think your insurers will be a little suspicious if you attempted to make a claim for accidentally damaging every pieces of contents that you own.

One point to make you aware of is, if you accidental left a tap on that overflowed and caused damage to the floors and ceilings etc, and you didnt have accidental cover on your contents you would still be paid by the insurance company as the contents would be covered due to damage by the escape of water .

Hope this helps !!

Advertisement