Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next weekend i shall.............

Options
  • 06-10-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Do my puddings !

I have orders in for 3 in the family but i have a feeling it will be much more.

Its a 10 hr job but worth it for the 1st taste at about 4PM on Dec 25th:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Do my puddings !

I have orders in for 3 in the family but i have a feeling it will be much more.

Its a 10 hr job but worth it for the 1st taste at about 4PM on Dec 25th:)

Recipe??? :D
    And does Santy not get the first taste on the 24th? He does in my house and my kids are well past Santy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'll throw it up this evening.

NO tasting on Dec 24 as it has to be boiled for a further hr on the day !

Not to mention the home made brandy custard to have with it...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'll throw it up this evening.

Unfortunate turn of phrase ... :D:p

I'd like your recipe too though

I promise i'll get it up tonight..............:D

and the recipe;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I promise i'll get it up tonight..............:D
    ooh_matron.jpg

Ooh, matron!

• Advertisement

Ok,

Firstly i took the recipe from BBC Good Food but changed it a bit to suit myself and our tastes !

The mix makes two 2 pint puddings and i got my bowls with lids in Super Valu. I'll be making 4 puddings so just double everything and your sorted !

You'll also need, string, tin foil and 8 hrs of your life !!!

50g blanched almonds
    2 large Bramley cooking apples
    200g box candied peel (in large pieces)
    1 whole nutmeg (you'll use three quarters of it)
    1kg raisins
    140g plain flour
    100g soft fresh white breadcrumbs
    100g light muscovado sugar
    3 large eggs
    Nagin of Brandy
    Glass of sherry
    250g packet butter , taken straight from the fridge

You'll also need a basin to mix and a bowl for your raisins...........

The night before i cook i soak the raisins in some sherry to get a bit of flavour in them.......

Below is copied and pasted from BBC

1.Get everything prepared. Chop the almonds coarsely. Peel, core and chop the apples. Sharpen your knife and chop the candied peel. (You can chop the almonds and apples in a food processor, but the peel must be done by hand.) Grate three quarters of the nutmeg (sounds a lot but it's correct). Mix all the ingredients for the pudding, except the butter, in a large bowl.

2.Holding the butter in its wrapper, grate a quarter of it into the bowl, then stir everything together.Repeat until all the butter is grated, then stir for 3-4 minutes - the mixture is ready when it subsides slightly after each stir. Ask the family to stir too, and get everyone to make a wish.

3.Generously butter two 1.2 litre/ 2 pint bowls and put a disc of greaseproof paper in the bottom of each. Pack in the pudding mixture. Cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper or baking parchment, pleating it to allow for expansion, then tie with string (keep the paper in place with a rubber band while tying). Trim off any excess paper.

4.Now stand each bowl on a large sheet of foil and bring the edges up over the top, then put another sheet of foil over the top and bring it down underneath to make a double package (this makes the puddings watertight). Tie with more string, and make a handle for easy lifting in and out of the pan. Watch our video to see how to tie up a pudding correctly http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/knowhow/glossary/tie-a-pudding/

5.Boil or oven steam the puddings for 8 hours, topping up with water as necessary. Remove from the pans and leave to cool overnight. When cold, discard the messy wrappings and re-wrap in spanking new greaseproof or baking parchment, foil and string. Store in a cool, dry place until Christmas.

6. Use a skewer to put holes in the puddings in mid Nov & Dec and pour a drop of brandy in so it soaks down into the pudding.

7.On Christmas Day, boil or oven steam for 1 hour. Unwrap and turn out. To flame, warm 3-4 tbsp brandy in a small pan, pour it over the pudding and set light to it.

8. ENJOY

Its time to add some brandy...........stick the skewers into them and add about 40ml of brandy to each pudding. It will soak down, recover and leave until about Dec 10 and do the same again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

making mine on tuesday, also a bbc recipe (must now hunt in LARGE chest full of recipes and find the thing) can't wait. it is delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have my cake made (Delia's Classic Christmas Cake) and will make the puddings (Darina's) at the weekend hopefully. Am going for 2, one is a gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

We're making our cake on Saturday! Me, my mum and my gran, and we'll watch Christmas movies and make decorations :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement