Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

novels

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:27am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭

hi
    I'm about a2.2 level at learning german, pretty basic stuff. Someone I know around the same level was reading books, alternating chapters in english and then german copies. I was thinking to do the same but as I said, basic level so far - doing the next course in January.
    Would something like harry potter be doable? :D
    I'm dying to read Das Parfum, but I suspect it might be out of my league yet even with both languages... :D

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi
    I'm about a2.2 level at learning german, pretty basic stuff. Someone I know around the same level was reading books, alternating chapters in english and then german copies. I was thinking to do the same but as I said, basic level so far - doing the next course in January.
    Would something like harry potter be doable? :D
    I'm dying to read Das Parfum, but I suspect it might be out of my league yet even with both languages... :D

thanks

I would not recommend that book either, it's a good novel though, but not on a beginner's level. Same applies to Franz Kafka, btw. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When I started to learn English I found Agatha Christie books quite easy to read ...and also cheap and easily available in both languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Poltergeist

Yeah, hold back on 'das Perfum'.

I would recommend 'The Little Prince' - it's a classic and great from your level. It's a pleasure to read in English but reading it in your target German language is an much much added bonus.

There are graded readers that you can order from amazon or collect in the library. I know they are available in the Goethe Library in Dublin. Nice simple short stories. I mean these type books:

http://www.langenscheidt.de/produkt/2839_377/Adel_und_edle_Steine_(Stufe_1)-Buch/978-3-468-49685-1

Outside of that the Penguin parallel text short stories (german on one side, english on the other) are good. Available in most bookstores.

Viel Spaß beim Deutschlernen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Outside of that the Penguin parallel text short stories (german on one side, english on the other) are good. Available in most bookstores.

Viel Spaß beim Deutschlernen

I didn't know about this - I should have a look in HF in town or something?
    I picked up some agatha christie now :pac:

Yeah I should have signed up for the Goethe library, I'll fix that soon

thanks for your help everyone!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

I must confess, I have only ever read one book in German. I posted here:
    Das Perfum ... arrrggghh. You would torture yourself reading it in German.

I must say, I would not read The Little Prince - the original language is French.

How about children's books? As a suggestion Paul Maar writes (I think he still does) wonderful books. My daughter had: "Onkel Florians fliegender Flohmarkt". Lots of things to do in that book. The Sams books are good too.

There are others, but I think that will do for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Orla_inka wrote: »
    I must confess, I have only ever read one book in German. I posted here:
    Das Perfum ... arrrggghh. You would torture yourself reading it in German.

I must say, I would not read The Little Prince - the original language is French.

How about children's books? As a suggestion Paul Maar writes (I think he still does) wonderful books. My daughter had: "Onkel Florians fliegender Flohmarkt". Lots of things to do in that book. The Sams books are good too.

There are others, but I think that will do for a start.

Paul Maar is a classic, I would recommend him as well.

Or the author 'Janosch', some beautiful stories like 'Oh wie schoen ist Panama'

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I'd advise you to read a book that you will enjoy, the first German book I ever read was a Stephen King book, it took me quite a while to get through it, but I enjoyed reading it, I had tried reading some other easier German book previously (can't remember the name of it) but the book was just plain boring so I gave up quite fast

Advertisement