Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October - too late to sow Grass Seed?

Options
  • 06-10-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey guys.

I have been preparing my garden for sowing grass seed over the past couple of weeks.
    It has been rotavated, stones removed, and raked.

I had intended to plant the grass seed tomorrow as the weather is supposed to be quite good (ie not raining).

It is quite a large area - around 0.75 acre and I am using grade 2 grass seed.

However my father in law said to me last night he thought it was a waste of time sowing the seed in October as the cold will kill it all off and I'll be back to square one. On the other hand several other people had told me October would be ok.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions/experience with this.

Overall I'm not too up on this type of thing so would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

You still have time if you sow in October. Whilst growth is slower this time of year, it has not stopped completely. Depends really on what the weather is like in November and December which is anyone's guess, but October is still time enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Get it in now. there's a few mild days coming and soil temps are still above 12C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

dont mean to hijack the thread, but planning on sowing grass seed on monday, Whats grade 2 grass seed, is there a seed someone can recommend or is the stuff they sell in woodies ok,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Caracol

ronn wrote: »
    dont mean to hijack the thread, but planning on sowing grass seed on monday, Whats grade 2 grass seed, is there a seed someone can recommend or is the stuff they sell in woodies ok,

Grade 2 is fine grass (typically suitable for a front garden). Grade 3 is more coarse. I have Grade 2 in the front garden and Grade 3 in the back garden.

Grade 1 is very fine - like a putting green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi.
    October might be pushing it a bit to be honest.
    It really depends. In a mild year I'd say no bother but it's not that.
    Now it's down to your location and aspect.
    If you are along the east or south with a good aspect you should have no bother if it doesn't rain too much.
    If you're further north and exposed you could struggle

I recently saw a acre which was sowed three weeks ago and it's exposed and struggling badly already.

What else can you do really only try it and hope, otherwise weeds will take over.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement