Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Both Trinity College and UCD have dropped out of the top 100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Holland looks more and more tempting for post graduate study
    Why Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

you'd be near the heartland of western europe i.e great for networking
    cheap tuition
    nicely-run country
    good universities

you'd be near the heartland of western europe i.e great for networking
    Not sure about that one. But anyway, I wouldn't go making your choice on where to do postgrad based on any ranking list - you're going to be interested in the specifics of what a faculty/supervisor can offer, rather than the overall reputation of the institution.

#15 wrote: »
    In the post-PhD world, which is more helpful?
    Supervisor or highly ranked university?
    Personally, I'd go with supervisor - an excellent supervisor is worth their weight in gold, even if their resources are limited. The institution where you do your PhD really isn't all that important. Some people think it is, but it really isn't. Obviously, the greater the resources at your disposal, the more productive you can be - that's a given, and more prestigious institutions will tend to have an abundance of resources. But in terms of reputation, it really doesn't matter all that much. If you're applying for a postdoc and you have a couple of good papers under your belt (or even just one really good one), it really doesn't matter a damn where you did the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

djpbarry wrote: »
    Personally, I'd go with supervisor - an excellent supervisor is worth their weight in gold, even if their resources are limited. The institution where you do your PhD really isn't all that important. Some people think it is, but it really isn't.
    I'll second that. Get the right supervisor and it will make the world of difference. A short while after graduation and the institution doesn't matter all all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement