Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overkill of charity dance events

Options
  • 06-10-2011 12:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I was speaking to someone who is trying to fund raise and said they find to very find because they don't have a social event to sell the funding and that some events like these Charity dance nights are blowing them out of the water locally

Ive gotten tickets for 2 preivous nights and at 20 euro was dearish

its for charity but seem to have a more"in crowd" feel to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

bigpink wrote: »
    I was speaking to someone who is trying to fund raise and said they find to very find because they don't have a social event to sell the funding and that some events like these Charity dance nights are blowing them out of the water locally

I only knew of the celeb strictly come dancing one, besides that they are all balls that I shoot :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

There was that Jigs and Reels one lately too.
    I know a lot of Charities that are doing a night at the dogs, they don't seem to be as expensive, you could suggest that to your friend (though I personally would never go to a dog racing event I know that many would).

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

With the current boom surrounding running/jogging why don't you look at organising a fun run or a road race of a distance up to 10k. You could charge 10-15e a head.
    Maybe get a few of the local running clubs involved and see how it works.
    I know Limerick City Sports partnership ran a very successful run series over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

How about the Charity Holidays?

- "Yaw me and Ulick are going to walk the Great Wall of China for Charity", you really got to sponsor me €20, by the time I pay for my extra clothes, hats, sunscreen, insect repellent, flights, hotels, insurance and wine spritzer money then theres going to be €6.88 of my €3,200 raised passed on to the Chernobyl Childrens fund.

Ya know what Sorcha - Fcuk off and pay for your own fcuking holiday like everyone else. If ya want to do a sponsored walk for charity maybe look at the end of your fcuking driveway - I'll bet my sanity you'll find a fcuking road there, you self-obsessed, cheap, horrible, transparent cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Raiser wrote: »

- "Yaw me and Ulick are going to walk the Great Wall of China for Charity", you really got to sponsor me €20, by the time I pay for my extra clothes, hats, sunscreen, insect repellent, flights, hotels, insurance and wine spritzer money then theres going to be €6.88 of my €3,200 raised passed on to the Chernobyl Childrens fund.

Ya know what Sorcha - Fcuk off and pay for your own fcuking holiday like everyone else. If ya want to do a sponsored walk for charity maybe look at the end of your fcuking driveway - I'll bet my sanity you'll find a fcuking road there, you self-obsessed, cheap, horrible, transparent cow.

F**king.Spot.On!!! I HATE these sponsored walks in Africa, or treks in Sth America. Why not just donate the money raised (for flights/accommodation/a good holiday disguised as a charity event) to charity in question. Complete bullsh*t...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Send me to Africa to build houses is the cry

Well you're an eight stone lady so you're pretty much useless on a site [no offense to the ladies, just it's difficult for laboring].

And if you don't go then local workers can be hired, create employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I don't see too many of those blatant con-jobs any more, thankfully. The economic apocalypse has its upside too!! How exactly does Ulick and Sorcha's walk along the Great Wall of China help a starving child on the Horn of Africa? Also, I must add, usually when I hear the words "celebrity" and "charity" in the same sentence, I break out in a debilitating rash. I instantly translate it in my head to "wannabe trying to cloak shameless self-promotion in sham show of altruism".

mikemac wrote: »
    Send me to Africa to build houses is the cry

Well you're an eight stone lady so you're pretty much useless on a site [no offense to the ladies, just it's difficult for laboring].

And if you don't go then local workers can be hired, create employment

This has more merit than "walking the great wall of China for charity", I think. A lot of the locals might not possess the skills needed to build houses and if skilled tradespeople from Europe can train the locals in housebuilding or irrigation etc., while carrying out the work, then, hopefully, the skills acquired by the locals can be used again and again on other projects, after the charity workers have gone home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

While I agree with you that it would be a disgrace if people get a free holiday out of those sponsored walks along the Great Wall of China, my understanding is they don`t - they have to pay to get there anyway, raising money for charity is an extra. Isn´t it better that people go on a holiday and raise some money for charity along the way than just go on holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

bigpink wrote: »

Is this a question, statement, post looking for fundraising ideas or a rant? :confused:

• Advertisement

gaf1983 wrote: »
    While I agree with you that it would be a disgrace if people get a free holiday out of those sponsored walks along the Great Wall of China, my understanding is they don`t - they have to pay to get there anyway, raising money for charity is an extra. Isn´t it better that people go on a holiday and raise some money for charity along the way than just go on holiday?

You might be right, me and Raiser might be right. I think the point is that we just can't know for sure. Charities can be very slippery and hypersensitive when you start asking some pointed questions about their use of money. A lot of the time, you will be dismissed with an ad hom attack and "how dare you question our pure motives?". I found this website on google. It doesn't tell you what happened to the £46m raised. Was it given to charities or did it go towards paying the costs of the walk on the Great Wall? The other two figures, 1660 of self-funding, and 3250 of sponsorship, it doesn't tell you how much of the 4910 goes towards the cost of the holiday and how much is given to charity. I love this website, Givewell, it applies the same rigorous process to evaluating charities as you would give to any other type of investment. Why should charities be exempt from critical enquiry, just because they claim good intentions? Surely critical analysis would increase the efficacy of their use of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

gaf1983 wrote: »

This is true, what happens in my understanding is that the trip comes out of your own pocket, and you raise extra for the charity.

@bigpink, are there any aspects of Limerick life that you look on in a positive light? :p

Advertisement