Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Written Off - what does this mean?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey Guys

Looking for some advice from pros on here.

Basically I love my car, saved up for it and had spent a long time researching before a found my car. Well last week another car hit my side near right wheel. To me the damage didn't seem that bad to have the assessor say its a financial write off...Emotionally attached to this car.

I was given the offer of 5K by assessor for the car or else 5K less salvage fee 1.5K,so insurance company would give me 3.5K and I keep and repair my car. What does salvage fee mean? How does this work?

Also, if the assessor has written my car off - is this decision final, could I get it assessed by independent person?

And if I wanted to keep my car and get it repaired; do I need to get an engineer to say it is road worthy, will I need to re-NCT it, I have protected NCD - but when I go to insure the car again, will insurance go up as this is a previous written off car.

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't feel the insurance company is fair declaring the car is a write off...Surely I could get it repaired at local garage for a lower price.

I feel a bit silly dealing with insurance company and assessor as don't find them very helpful and some of the terminology goes over my head.

Really appreciate any advice,
    Stress Out Claire
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What car is it? What year is it? Any pics of the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Barna09

Hey there

It is a 04 highline passat, 140k mileage. Perhaps I am being ridiculous but don't want the car labelled as written off when perhaps it could be repaired at low cost. Unfortunately, I was in shock and took no pics.

Presume I can take pics at the garage the insurance company brought my car to.

Sorry, im so clueless with these things,

It really depends on the damage, but you'd do a lot of fixing to a 04 Passat for 3.5k, if you want to PM me a picture if you can get one I'll be able to give you a better idea.

It may or may not be down as written off in the eyes of the insurance company, an report shouldn't cost more than 2-300 to have it back in the clear again.

going to get pics tomorrow...really want to keep my car and get is repaired.

That sounds great if could get an engineer to report the car is roadworthy. would my insurance be affected to insure a previously written off car?

Not that I would be selling my little baby in future but if I did I presume the written off details will be on cartell etc

Nope, insurance wouldn't/shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

thanks a mill for the advice :) will get tho pics...

Advertisement