Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hse paramedic

Options
  • 05-10-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

hey ya im wondering about the hse paramedic course id love to do it
    would i be better off getting a qualification in england scotland and wales and coming back to ireland with it
    or what are the chances of getting into the hse is the paramedic programme in ireland two years any info on it please appriciated cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

Go abroad to do it in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

yeah go abroad and do it and get a proper paramedic qualification and then come back, not a half baked one like here.. half way between emt and a paramedic.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

i think if you really want to get a paramedic qualification, going abroad might be a quicker way about it. Although you never know when the hse will recruit again. if your young, i'd say hang on for the hse.

the irish paramedic qualification is actually considered very good. it is NOT simply half way between emt and paramedic, although some american ems services would consider it as EMT-I. The AP program is a very high standard compaired to many international ALS programs.
    Ireland has a very high standard of selection and training. so it may be frustrating.

good luck with your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The UK system is a 2 year college course with no guarantee of employment, in fact this system is creating a pool of qualified Paramedics making it more difficult to gain employment, similar to the way many college careers train people, you do college along with many others and hope that your chosen career is recruiting at the end of it.

Or stay in Ireland and wait for the next HSE National Ambulance Service recruitment (providing you meet the criteria). The HSE NAS are still training Paramedics, there are two classes starting before the end of the year. Then two years following your NQEMT exam you can then apply to sit the entrance paper for the Advanced Paramedic course of which the HSE National Ambulance Service are still doing. They currently have 24 Advanced Paramedic Students in the latest AP class in UCD and are advertising for further AP students again before the end of the year.
    So as far as career prospects go, the HSE National Ambulance Service has by far the best option if you wish to train to a high standard of Paramedic skills, and unlike the UK college training, in Ireland you are employed and paid whilst training.

HSE National Ambulance Service commitment to the Advanced Paramedic Programme continues with the advertisement this week for the internal entrance exam for the UCD/NAS Advanced Paramedic Course.

Many of the recent recruits since the 2008/09 recruitment campaign are now eligible to apply for this course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 danieleng204

Yeah go abroad and qualify over there. London, US, Austrailia, better qualification and loads more propper experience, not like here!! Qualify in England and come back as an AP!

Yeah go abroad and qualify over there. London, US, Austrailia, better qualification and loads more propper experience, not like here!! Qualify in England and come back as an AP!

You're incorrect, certainly in relation to the England and US system. Both of those will get you a Paramedic qualification in Ireland, not an Advanced Paramedic qualification.
    There is at least one recent new member of staff who came in via the trained advertisement, who had just finished the UK 2 years course and their qualification gains them a Paramedic title here, not AP.
    Many other existing members of staff have done UK and US Paramedic courses only to be told they did not carry here and they had to wait and apply to complete the AP course.

People are often very quick to run down the Irish qualification without knowing or getting any facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 danieleng204

I know a fella doing the Paramedic course in Liverpool, when he comes back here he will qualify as an AP and also a girl in Hertsfordshire Uni in London doing the Paramedic course there alongside London Ambulance Service will also qualify as an AP should she come to Ireland. This is what they have been made aware of.
    Also I can say the experience alone is second to none in London whatever about anywhere else.

I know a fella doing the Paramedic course in Liverpool, when he comes back here he will qualify as an AP and also a girl in Hertsfordshire Uni in London doing the Paramedic course there alongside London Ambulance Service will also qualify as an AP should she come to Ireland. This is what they have been made aware of.
    Also I can say the experience alone is second to none in London whatever about anywhere else.

They won't gain an AP qualfication, there are many in the NAS who've went down that route before and they still had to apply for and sit the AP course. Whoever has made them 'aware' of this is misleading them.

As for a better experience in London or 'proper' experience elsewhere, I've worked a busman's type trip to New York and spent time on an ambulance there and I can tell you the type of calls are identical to what you'll experience in Dublin, Cork, Limerick or any other city. Same call, different city.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

Bang Bang wrote: »
    They won't gain an AP qualfication, there are many in the NAS who've went down that route before and they still had to apply for and sit the AP course. Whoever has made them 'aware' of this is misleading them.

As for a better experience in London or 'proper' experience elsewhere, I've worked a busman's type trip to New York and spent time on an ambulance there and I can tell you the type of calls are identical to what you'll experience in Dublin, Cork, Limerick or any other city. Same call, different city.

Hertfordshire is the ap standard afaik but Liverpool definitely isn't, the course at JMU in Liverpool is a 2 year diploma, hertfordshire is a 4 year degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 medicfar

The Carlton Shearwater Hotel, (4 Star Hotel with Swimming Pool, Sauna, Steamroom & Gym ) are offering HSE Ambulance Service a special offer
    for accommodation Bed & Breakfast including Dinner. Price €40.00 per person.

If you are interested in availing of this offer please contact our Reception / Reservation dept on 09096 403000

Congratulations to Paramedic 13 on your forthcoming Visit to Ballinasloe
    Also Well Done to All of Paramedic 11 who completed stage 1 with full mark. A lovely Group which stay at the Calton Hotel for the duration of their Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

how do you apply fopr courses in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

Www.ucas.ac.uk the british equivelant of cao.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Hertfordshire is the ap standard afaik but Liverpool definitely isn't, the course at JMU in Liverpool is a 2 year diploma, hertfordshire is a 4 year degree.

PHECC look at each individual on their own merit...but normally you will require some level of on-the-road experience before being recognised - so those who complete the Hertfordshire course most likely need to work for a year or so at Paramedic level in LAS before being granted AP equivalency by PHECC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ardyl

Hi lads

Just wondering has anyone heard anything about the remainder of the
    current panel. Do you think the budget/ government actions may have
    a detrimental effect on the next class being called. Hopefully they will exhaust the current panel and do another recruitment drive.

ardyl wrote: »
    Hi lads

Just wondering has anyone heard anything about the remainder of the
    current panel. Do you think the budget/ government actions may have
    a detrimental effect on the next class being called. Hopefully they will exhaust the current panel and do another recruitment drive.

Try asking this in the 2010 HSE Recruitment thread on this subforum, that contains the latest info on the current panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ardyl

cheers for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

For what its worth I was talking to an Ambo here in Victoria.

He states in Victoria the course is a college course and once you pass you apply for a job. That said the take up rate is running at 100%.

The Metropolitan Ambulance Service here would be an option. Now granted you may have to get here do the course at some cost but there might be a route to a job.

I agree with what someone else said the calls you get will be the same. A lot of your time will be spent going to pure sh*t.

However if you can do it I cant express the respect I have when I see a experienced Paramedic at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Griffindore

I have never read such an amount of negative comments before. I don't know if any of you are already paramedics in the HSE here but the standard of training is far from sh*t. The guys on the courses put in an unnatural amount of hours studying and training and are coached by very experienced and qualified paramedics and advanced paramedics. It's an insult to the people working in or training to become paramedics. I realise that there are hard times here at the moment and people may decide to go abroad to train but don't slate the rest of us here that are sloggin away trying to do a job that we love and have great pride in. The HSE are recruiting at the moment but hopefully the entrance tests will weed out the negative folk that really shouldn't be doing this job if that's how ye feel. Remember this is a caring profession on the ground level where there is a real person with needs that we are there to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

+1 griffindore.

emt, paramedic and ap are a very high standard. internationaly, irish prehospital qualifications are rated very high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

paraletic wrote: »
    internationaly, irish prehospital qualifications are rated very high.

Do you have any source to back this up paraletic or is it just word-of-mouth?

Not being argumentative, I'd just be interested in comparing it with other training regimes, I'm only familiar with the Irish and UK system

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anygivenday

I currently just finish my 3rd year honours degree liverpool john moores university, paramedic sciences. If i was you and if you want to make a big differenced in life, make your way to England to a university. The standard of training in England is out of this world compare to the standard in Ireland, you will come back to Ireland as a advance paramedic no question, .Paramedic in England can iv cannulation, io cannulation, chest decompression , needle cricothyrotomy,intubation,give many different life saving drugs ( approx 40) , sadly Pronounce people dead (no GP) , thrombolysis MI patent, have authority to treat patient at there own home (and dont all have to travel to hospital). Your UK Qualification will be recognised all over the world.

The standard of training in England is out of this world compare to the standard in Ireland, you will come back to Ireland as a advance paramedic no question,

You are incorrect in what you are saying. There are a number of NAS staff who took the UK route and they do not have recognition as Advanced Paramedics, they are registered as Paramedics on the PHECC register and are employed as such.
    Which basically rules out your opinion regarding the standard of training in Ireland, when you will come back to Ireland only to find your UK qualification or level of care has been downgraded.

Well from talking to phecc over the phone, also through emails, as they were saying they be no reason why i wounldnt get advance paramedic, as as long as you meet the advance paramedic criteria clinical/hours on the road.

And allready by looking at the advance paramedic criteria in Ireland, i 100% surly meet the criteria.

I know what your saying is true, there is uk paramedics that come back to Ireland as just paramedic as i know some, but there old school paramedic, they did there training as in house training in England, not university standard. Paramedic at university standard as only come in the last 4/5 years. As we know Ireland is 10 years behind England standard.

In England you have Diploma, honours degree, Masters, PHD in paramedic sciences, you can work your way up to consultant Paramedic and you really dont want to know what they can do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Maybe I'm being a bit naive here but is there a PHECC test for AP that one can take and see if their UK training is good enough to earn the Irish AP rank?

That is correct flazio. :)

Just remember to get AP ticket here from a foreign qualification, you would most likely need equivalent hours of:

Paramedic training & education + internship + on the road experience required prior to applying for AP training + AP training & education + internship.

So it adds up to around 5 years. Anyone with less experience and/or training/education hours will generally not be successful.

Advertisement