Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I accepted a job, can I now retract my decision?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I accepted a job offer last Friday. The job is due to start next Monday.

However today I was offered an opportunity that, while less secure, is much more in line with my career plans.

Have any of you ever found yourselves in the same position?

The fact that I accepted the initial job offer (verbally) doesn't mean I am obligated to follow through, does it?

I know it's bad form to back out so late, but I really don't want to pass up this other opportunity that has come my way.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

(Originally posted this in Work Problems by accident)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dude, you have to look out for number one! You may have accepted the job, but you owe everything to yourself to take the better option.

Also, I've known lads who've turned down jobs before, only to apply to the same company a few years later. It wasn't held against any of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Did you sign a contract yet?

I know how you feel, I also 'feel bad' leaving a job right after starting, but you gotta do whats best for you

You've no obligation to follow through with the acceptance

and its better to do it NOW so they can offer to someone who just missed out in interview

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wildswan

Don't worry, you can always back out, even if they don't like it.

Just be sure you don't regret it!

Advertisement