Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepted a job, can I retract my decision?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I accepted a job offer last Friday. The job is due to start next Monday.

However today I was offered an opportunity that, while less secure, is much more in line with my career plans.

Have any of you ever found yourselves in the same position?

The fact that I accepted the initial job offer (verbally) doesn't mean I am obligated to follow through, does it?

I know it's bad form to back out so late, but I really don't want to pass up this other opportunity that has come my way.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You're fine. Just phone them up and explain. No legal repercussions whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

As they say, a verbal contract isnt worth the paper its printed on.

Happened to me before, accepted a job verbally but shortly after I got a much better and more suitable offer elsewhere.

Rang up and explained my situation had changed, they were fairly peeved but at the end of the day you have to do whats right for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Of course you can.
    Dont worry either. If the shoe was on the other foot they would have no problem telling you the job wasnt available anymore if they changed their minds.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There are no legal repercussions. The company may well be annoyed, but they are unlikely to go any further than a simple "thanks for letting us know". At the end of the day, the most important person in all this is you, and you should take whichever opportunity you want to.

Advertisement