Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer pay while on maternity???

Options
  • 05-10-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

I work for a multinational company in Ireland.
    I am wondering if anyone on here works for a similar type company and if so, can you let me know if you are paid by your employer while on maternity leave?
    Please give me as much detail as you can!

In a workforce of 90, there are 3 women. We want to make a strong case to bring in Maternity Pay as a benefit (there are plenty other benefits, they just won't bring in this one).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Legally they don't have to top up any woman's pay while she is claiming maternity benefit.

I do know that IBM and Intel do, so that is two companys for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

The employer doesn't pay the maternity benefit.. it's the state that pays it.. some companies will top it up as a goodwill gesture but they're not obliged to..
    You usually receive 80% of your pay . .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You do not get paid by your employer while on maternity leave - there's social welfare for that. If you think about it, why would an employer pay you while you are not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do not get paid by your employer while on maternity leave - there's social welfare for that. If you think about it, why would an employer pay you while you are not working?
    Employee wellbeing, employee retention, social responsibility, it might be the right thing to do. A proportion of employers do pay the employee the difference between maternity benefit and their normal income.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Victor wrote: »
    Employee wellbeing, employee retention, social responsibility, it might be the right thing to do. A proportion of employers do pay the employee the difference between maternity benefit and their normal income.

Yep. It's not legally required but many companies build it in to their contracts. My current contract gives me top up pay for 18 weeks of maternity leave. My previous contract gave me none. I've heard of people here negotiating the top up for the full maternity period into contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My wife works for a US multinational with a smallish office in Dublin (~20 people at most).
    Her employer paid her, less the maternity benefit she received directly from social welfare. I do not know if the combined total was 100% or 80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

I am aware that employers are not obliged to pay you while you are not working and social welfare is available.
    We previously had a plan but the company decided to scrap it (after one colleague benefit from it). 'Cost cutting' they claimed. But they since introducted full medical insurance for all salaried employees and also employer contibution to pensions along with Shares for management.
    I just want to do a bit of research into what other companies like us have in their policies so that I can put up a good fight to our manager as I deem it a bit unfair.

Thanks to those who have responded!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

worked for multinational few yrs ago who did't pay it at all. 80 staff in Ireland, about 20 women. they did pay full med insurance for whole family though so it was actually a better deal for all employees. just remembered that cousin back in the 80s who got paid full pay for maternity leave period and the employee didn't have to hand back the social welfare portion. nice eh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I work for a multinational with a small base here (approx 60 employess, 90% female). Maternity benefit is topped up by our employer. The social welfare payment is made to the employer and the usual wage is paid to the employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The multinational I work for will pay the difference between your pay and state benefit for 16 weeks if you are there 3 years and permanent.
    A friend of mine works for a multinational that used to offer it but stopped two years ago and now only pay it to those that have it in their contract. So all new employees of that company no longer get it.
    Good luck with your negotiating OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement