Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emt Cpd

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Anyone clued in as to when this looks like its going to be implemented? I know the consultations finished not so long ago but I'd like to see it coming along soon. Having passed my nqemt nearly 3 years ago Im getting to the stage where I find myself abit rusty on things and would love to have the oppertunity of the continued development.

I pick up the books from time to time and flick back through them but to be honest even being fairly active within my cd unit I find the skills that were learned gone to the back of my head, mainly becuase I'm not getting many if at all any scenario's to use them in.

I've done additional training in other healthcare related courses in the meantime off my own back, but I wonder would it be a good idea to maby have to recertify on some skills ect on a yearly basis aside from CFR?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Continuous Professional Development has been implemented. It includes accurate filling out of PCR's as well as doing further relevant course's of which it sounds like you've been doing.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with recertification or upskilling? There's is no recertification with EMT and other levels, there is of course 'Upskilling' with certain levels, Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic at present. If there is upskilling to be completed with EMT then you would hear of it through PHECC and your organisation.

Keeping your skills up in training scenarios would be something you do with your organisation also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

One of the voluntary organisations recently released its CPD requirements for EMTs.

It was on a points basis with points being awarded for a completion of a variety of tasks... I havnt got the document to hand but if I find it Il give a better summary.

It included points for (mandatory) CFR recertification, points per hour for duty at major events and extreme environmental situations, and a few other activities.

Edit: OP if your with CD you should have recently got a circular detailing exactly whats required, and the start date. Check with your CDO as its running on a year by year basis, and the first year starts soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

That sounds more like it TylerIe, what I meant to refer to was the continuous professional competence that was highlighted in the summer edition of phecc voice.

I'll have to find out off an OIC what the story is, there was recent talk of attendance at duties contributing towards it but the details were sketchy to say the least. If you come across the document and can give a better summary that would be great, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

OMAC have been trialling their CPD in Dublin for the last year or so and is being rolled out around the country shortly.

Mix of training, duty hours , upskilling all add to your points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I cant find the document with the CPC on it but was talking to someone else who got it.

Its a mix of Upskilling (including mandatory CFR) and patient contact.
    IIRC you will not be able to maintain certification without being in contact with at least 6 transported patients or 12 minors.

It was worked along the basis of 40 points per year.
    CFR = x Points
    Patient Care: Transport 1 point / Non Transport or minor 1/2 point
    Major Event Duties: 1 point per hour
    Extreme Environment Duties: Points per hour also
    Other upskilling courses: As agreed with the training body - so I assume PHTLS etc will all get agreed points.

IIRC you need a mix of the above - you cant get all your points from duties or from courses.

Its likely to be rolled out from January (the document said November but its probably changed). However we can believe it when we see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement