Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO watchers see "strange beam of light"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

article wrote:
    We do not know, there is no rational explanation to what it could have been.

There's a doozy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

Somebody who knows them playing a joke with a lazer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Emiko wrote: »
    Somebody who knows them playing a joke with a lazer?

You don't see a laser beam passing through the air - only if it's passing through something that will scatter the light, like smoke or mist. And I got the impression the beam was coming straight down from above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'd say that the lazer was harmless. There would be scorch marks or a hole in the ground otherwise. It may have come from a targeting system of some sort like the kind used for guiding missiles. If the beam was vertical, it had to come from above or below. Above sounds more likely.

The report sounds credible to me because the watchers weren't looking to blame aliens and didn't come across as insane. They at least pass the smell test for me and that rarely happens. All the UFO videos that I've seen here or in Paranormal fail my smell-test.

Their idea that it could be a military vehicle seems plausible. If a secret craft was flying around at night for testing, the crew, no matter how disciplined, might buzz people for a laugh or even just to check their targeting. I wouldn't say that they're trying to intimidate - they're invisible and don't need to. It mightn't be likely but it's certainly not impossible.

One thing that I'd like to know is whether or not the beam moved. If it stayed still, then I'd suspect that the lads were deliberately targeted.

It's an interesting story. There's so much here that I dismiss out of hand for a variety of reasons but this story has perked my curiosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You don't see a laser beam passing through the air - only if it's passing through something that will scatter the light, like smoke or mist. And I got the impression the beam was coming straight down from above.

Could there be enough particles in the air around them from their sweat and tea to cause the scattering of the lazer, I wonder? Or a ground mist?

I am of course assuming that these lads are being truthful but they don't seem to have that mental streak that I see in a lot of UFO stories so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

But they are UFO watchers, they went out looking for UFO's and this happens. Whatever way you look at it it's a huge coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

studiorat wrote: »
    http://www.shropshirelive.com/2011/10/03/shrewsbury-sky-watch-team-encounter-strange-beam-of-light/

What's particularly interesting is these guys are UFO watchers. I wonder how many UFO sightings are by people actually on the lookout for UFO's, how many are by randomers and how many by astrologists amateur or professional.

Astrologists?

Aren't they more likely to be reading tarot cards or horoscopes rather than studying the night sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Astrologists?

Aren't they more likely to be reading tarot cards or horoscopes rather than studying the night sky?

Jaysus.... :p

Caught rapid!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

So no evidence except a photoshopped picture of a laser in front of them thats a reconstruction. Definately believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So what was this that fired the beam of light? We do not know, there is no rational explanation to what it could have been. All we know is that we were targeted by something that wanted to let us know it was there watching us, watching them
    What was it? We've no idea. Oh, but we do know that it was actually something sentient and it wanted to let us know x y z...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser

Laser induced plasma channel; could explain how a laser could be seen without a medium such as dust or vapour (you see the plasma not the laser) and then using that plasma as a medium to deliver an electric shock.
    Fits with the description of discharge crack and tingling/nausea...
    Thing is who fired it and why....I'm tending to believe that there are satellite mounted maser weapons, but something like this needs air as a medium so it'd have to be from an aircraft...why...taking the piss out of some skywatchers for sh*ts and giggles back at the secret military base maybe...shame all their night vision equipment dodn't catch any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

And yet thousands of astronomers who do nothing but stare at the sky every night never see a thing :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

And yet thousands of astronomers who do nothing but stare at the sky every night never see a thing :cool:

Really http://www.ufoevidence.org/Cases/CaseView.asp?section=Astronomer :eek:

http://www.openminds.tv/astronomers-see-ufos-081310/

Advertisement