Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM with fivers

Options
  • 05-10-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any atm (highly unlikely) that dispenses 5 euro notes?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i remember back in the day one of the tcd ones used to dispence 5 punt notes

Highly unlikely that any dispence 5 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

I think the lowest you can get is €10 notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Even getting €10 notes is a chore.

Thankfully I only deal in fiddy euro notes.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Not much use to you I know, but recently in Germany I took 100 Euro out of an ATM and was given 1 x 50, 1 x 20, 2 x 10 and 2 x 5

Dont know why they cant provide that sort of service in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ulster Bank tends to carry more smaller denominatiosn than the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I usually know the area i am in by the notes the maching dispenses...For example. Blanch shopping centre 50 euro, ballymun shopping centre 20 euro.

If it were me i would try an atm road facing. They tend to be the ones at risk so tend to carry the smaller notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

homer911 wrote: »
    Not much use to you I know, but recently in Germany I took 100 Euro out of an ATM and was given 1 x 50, 1 x 20, 2 x 10 and 2 x 5

Dont know why they cant provide that sort of service in Ireland..

Because the ATM customers in Germany are German and not Irish. If an ATM was to dispenses that combination of notes in Ireland, it would run out of cash after just a few hours.

In backward cash/cheque-loving Ireland, the only way to get any use out of an ATM is to stuff all its chambers with high denomination notes.

See the following stats:

ATM Cash Value per Capita
    Cheque Value per Capita
    Debit Card usage per Capita
    Credit Card per Capita

The massive difference between Ireland and Germany is embarrassing. Yet when AIB/BOI gently coax their customers to use electronic payments, they are vilified by the media and the public. I can only hope than when they bring out their contactless card next year, they shut down their ATM/Cheque Clearance network - to hell with the Neanderthals!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dotsman wrote: »
    I wonder if all those numbers are calculated in the same way, some of the Irish and German figures look like they include business transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In Germany and most continental countries you pay for drinks when you're leaving and most of these settlements are cashless i.e. done using cards because there's only one such transaction per visit to the pub.

In Ireland you have to pay on the spot for every round of drinks and pubs don't like messing with cards in these situations so cash is the preferred method of payment, especially if the place is busy and/or you're getting served by a lounge girl/boy. That means that if you're going out on a Friday or Saturday night you need lots of cash, hence the ATMs all dispense €50 notes because if they were programmed to pay out a mix of smaller denominations, they would run out of cash in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Victor wrote: »
    I wonder if all those numbers are calculated in the same way, some of the Irish and German figures look like they include business transactions.

Not sure. Certainly the "cheque" figures look like they include business transactions. Don't think business transactions would impact atm usage though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Does anyone know of any atm (highly unlikely) that dispenses 5 euro notes?

There are none. How about using your debit card for the small transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jamesie_boy

Fungus wrote: »
    There are none. How about using your debit card for the small transaction?

I actually would but I don't have a transaction for a fiver at all. I'm just looking to withdraw a few hundred euro in fivers. Why you ask? Well I read an article recently about having small denominations of cash in your wallet. Apparently it encourages you to be more wise with your expenses than you would be if you had a large note such as a fifty. It makes it look like your spending a lot more money than you actually are. It's a psychological thing to hold onto your money in a recession!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The main reason they don't have €5 in ATM is because it would take up an entire cassette of the machine. It would there for run out of money quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Well I read an article recently about having small denominations of cash in your wallet. Apparently it encourages you to be more wise with your expenses than you would be if you had a large note such as a fifty.

Sounds like a pile of BS to me. You make a purchasing decision before you take out your wallet.

What determines your propensity to spend is the amount of money you have at your disposal, not the denominations of the notes in your wallet.

Filling your wallet with fivers won't make you spend less but it will make your wallet a lot fatter and probably attract the wrong kind of attention when you whip it out in public places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think it'd probably depend on what you're buying. I wouldn't break €50 for chewing gum or a coffee for example. But I can see how handing over 10 €5 notes instead of 1 €50 for the same item might make you reconsider too, albeit after taking out your wallet.

Advertisement