Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCW 2011: Best Game of the Pool Stages?

Options
  • 05-10-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the pool stages are over, and to settle the nerves a little ahead of saturday's do or die game I thought it'd be interesting to reflect over this years pool stages, as we'll have to savor it - it will be a long four years before we get to enjoy it again!

I had a few favorite games, most notable S.A vs Wales, Japan vs France (first half), Aus vs Ireland...

But I think my favorite and most memorable will be...

Argentina vs Scotland.

The game for me was what the world cup is all about. At times both sides looked like they wanted it so much it was canceling each other out - in fact that's really what happened for most of the game, as the rain bucketed down and defensive lines held, Scotland managed to squeeze their opponents back into their half and slice a few points away from the Pumas, eventually and rightfully stealing a settling lead, and perhaps that was the reason they eventually took their eyes of the job at hand.

But that moment of failed concentration lead to one of the best tries in the tournament so far. Not just because of the lovely side stepping ability of Amorosino, but because the feat itself was so assuredly denied for most the match by staunch Scottish defense, the Pumas sub made the Scots look suddenly like boys standing still! (Infact, his running, weaving, and spinning antics reminded me of the mock run by the little boy at the opening ceremony!)

Then, to top it off, the Doc's kick. How much pressure must've been riding on him? He wasn't kicking well all night, and the conversion angle was horrible. He picked himself up and you could see it in his eyes he backed his skill, and as soon as he struck the ball it was sweet!

Ofcourse this just added to the drama that ensued as Parks evidential confidence when he came onto the pitch earlier and was kicking on form quickly vanished and he was under huge pressure. One last attempt to rescue the sinking ship... Was Contepomi on side? Never. But that's the things that'll win or lose a match. Had Phil been caught it would've been a penalty, and a definite 3 pointer for scotland.. Contepomi showed a true bold (if perhaps dastardly) spirit to send his country through to the Q4's.

That's the kind of game that will not be forgotten anytime soon.. Especially not in Scotland!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Canada's first 3 matches were all brillant, except when the bastard French ruined that one right at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

For me SA v Somoa closely followed by Ireland v Aus

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Admittedly I didn't get to watch all the pool games in the end, but I was absolutely glued to the Canada v Tonga game. Very little to separate them for the ful 80 minutes.

Japan v France was great for a while too; they really didn't deserve to lose by that much.

Us v Australia was great, but it's hard to be impartial about that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Us meaning Ireland not the US? Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry, yeah - us as in Ireland, not USA!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Staying away from some of the more obvious ones, Scotland Vs Romania was a fairly exciting game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Japan vs. Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Would probably go for South Africa vs Wales with a nod to France vs Japan. I don't think I could bring myself to select any game that featured Scotland. Yes, they gave it their all and there was no shortage of tension but good God they are an awful team. 3 games and no tries shows their skill level and tactics. I was sorry to see them go out as they're an underdog but happy also because any game they play in is dragged down to their level. Parks booting that ball away in the closing minutes on England's 22 without even going through a phase was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Legion2008

I though Somoa v South Africa was very enjoyable, a close tense match. I think the Somoans were a little hard done by, some poor positioning by Nigel Owens prevented some moves by the Somoans, particularly at the end of the first half when a promising attacking move was ended because Owens was stuck by the ball and called time up ... there was a real opportunity for points to be scored there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Ireland v Oz, Wales v SA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Japan v Tonga. Very little at stake but a very enjoyable match.
    Ireland v Australia for obvious reasons. Finally starting to believe at about 65 minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Ireland v Italy was the best performance from the team under huge pressure I have ever seen. The atmosphere huge too.
    I also enjoyed the Tonga v Canada and Wales v South Africa games.

Best try, in my opinion, was Namibia's first vs South Africa. Huge skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

The Canadian games were all good. But I did enjoy the French being beaten by the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Tonga v Canada was great. In hindsight, it's a pity Canada got the win because it meant Tonga's win over France went to waste.

Wales v South Africa was a cracker as well.

Some great tries by Namibia and Russia, as good as anything produced by the top nations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The worst game I think was Samoa v Fiji. It promised so much but delivered so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The worst game I think was Samoa v Fiji. It promised so much but delivered so little.

Scotland vs Georgia on a similar level- no tries scored in this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

True but Samoa v Fiji makes you think of exciting end to end running rugby. Scotland v Georgia doesn't quite capture the imagnination in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Scotland vs Georgia on a similar level- no tries scored in this one.

Wrong game to be expecting either side to score tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

England v Scotland was an enjoyable game, tense 2 sides going at it with a huge amount at stake. Actually I enjoyed the 3 main games in the group Argentina v Scotland & England.

Ireland v Italy second half (the first was too tense to enjoy) It was great to watch an Irish side full of confidence having done the hard yards putting their opponents to the sword

Wales v South Africa was enjoyable but odd for me, secretly wanting Wales to win surrounded by saffers.

Tonga beating France was excellent, great for Rugby and hugely enjoyable to watch (even if it meant nothing in the end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Japan vs Canada and France vs Tonga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

IVIada wrote: »
    Japan vs Canada and France vs Tonga.

France vs Tonga was good, but not great - because the Tongans didn't know how to progress into the QFs. If a team can't be cynical and look to progress out of a pool stages, then they honestly don't ever deserve to get to that spot.

Dumb rugby. I actually don't know who played worse that day, Tonga or France. Ofcourse it was the latter, but you get what I mean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

France v Tonga was the best game by a mile imo.

A great underdog story, and my favourite moment of the world cup so far was the Tongan front row celebrating Frances decision to take a 5 meter scrum in front of the sticks when Tonga were defending their own line.

Amazing stuff, just such a shame they didn't beat Canada and France would have been out of the world cup.

Advertisement