Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth line and Royal Canal

Options
  • 04-10-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi

This is my first time posting here.

I was on the maynooth train today going to dublin connolly with a few friends and two of them try to convinces the rest of us the water level of the royal canal is above your eye level when sitting on the train between maynooth and coolmine. I couldn't believe they were saying this but they were totally convinced of it.

What I want to know is are they wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

No it isn't. Look out the window yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

n97 mini wrote: »
    No it isn't. Look out the window yourself.

I should have said if your opinion do you think they are wrong but I totally agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

heffo500 wrote: »
    I should have said if your opinion do you think they are wrong but I totally agree with you.
    There are stretches of canal where the level of the water is higher than roads etc the road into kilcock from maynooth is one example but not so much where it is adjacent to the railway. Also a canal is very different to a river and the level is controlled by locks and sluices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

This is my first time posting here.

I was on the maynooth train today going to dublin connolly with a few friends and two of them try to convinces the rest of us the water level of the royal canal is above your eye level when sitting on the train between maynooth and coolmine. I couldn't believe they were saying this but they were totally convinced of it.

What I want to know is are they wrong?
    How much lysergic do they usually consume...?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CIE wrote: »
    How much lysergic do they usually consume...?

An aqueduct carries the Royal Canal across the M50 at the junction of the M3. When you drive along the M50 at that junction, the railway bridge and the aqueduct look the same from below.

Most people in Ireland find it difficult to get their heads around the notion of a waterway running across a road or railway but it's a fairly common occurrence in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

There are points on the line were the canal is quite high in comparison to the tracks. I don't remember where exactly, I'm thinking between Confey and Clonsilla but I could be wrong. Not eye-level though.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swtq3bgg9k1w&lvl=19.063395595224847&dir=269.88048994359156&sty=b&form=LMLTCC the tracks are quite a bit below the canal - note the triple canal lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

jaysus if you're in the choo choo to the docklands, in the cutting along Whitworth Road/the joy you are *** well*** below the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

trellheim wrote: »
    jaysus if you're in the choo choo to the docklands, in the cutting along Whitworth Road/the joy you are *** well*** below the canal.

True. Maybe the OP's friends saw it from footpath at the Dorset St/Binn's Bridge end and confused it with the nearby and more or less parallel Maynooth/Connolly line through Drumcondra...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for all the replies.

Just thought I'd clear up things he said its above your eye-line when you just arrive maynooth train station just before the bridge where the bank rises but they are convinced the canal up to the level of the bank too and therefore is over your eye-line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement