Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using mortgage as security on personal loan

Options
  • 04-10-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

do you have to have a mortgage a certain amount of time to do so and how does it work? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

tnynll wrote: »
    do you have to have a mortgage a certain amount of time to do so and how does it work? thanks

You can't use a mortgage as security at all :D

If your house is worth €200,000 and your mortgage is €50,000, you may be able to "release the equity" (€150,000) by taking out a personal loan and securing it on your house. This was probably popular during the boom years but banks are less likely to entertain it now. (my guess, never looked into it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Equity release may be an option but a mortgage as security is like saying if i default on a personal loan you can have my bigger loan for the house.

We get what you mean though by using the property itself as security. This will depends on equity available on the property and ultimately your ability to repay the personal loan because if you cant do this then its an issue itself.

Advertisement