Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my Social welfare payments automatically stop when I resume work?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've been in Disability Allowance for two years and have just gotten a job. I was wondering do my payments automatically stop or do I have to let someone know? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Emma224 wrote: »
    I've been in Disability Allowance for two years and have just gotten a job. I was wondering do my payments automatically stop or do I have to let someone know? Thanks :D

You will have to let the relevant department know that you are starting work and the commencement date.

A person on DA may take up employment for rehabilitative purposes. See excerpt below from operational guidelines.

Employment and Education while on Disability Allowance
    Rehabilitative Employment and Self-employment

Persons in receipt of Disability Allowance can work while in receipt of the allowance but income is assessable as means. From 7 June 2006 the first €120.00 of weekly earnings and 50% of earnings between €120 and €350 from employment or self-employment of a rehabilitative nature are disregarded in any mean stest. However, any earnings in excess of this amount must be assessed as income and entitlement to Disability Allowance reduced accordingly.

The application for the employment to be considered rehabilitative must be made to the department and should be sent in as soon as the employment commences. In the case of Community Employment Schemes, approval is normally given on foot of certification of placement by FAS. In the case of other employment or self-employment a letter is required from the person's own medical doctor certifying the rehabilitative nature of the employment plus a letter from the employer describing the nature of the proposed employment, the number of hours being worked and the level of remuneration for the work. Where an application for employment to be considered rehabilitative is received, it may be forwarded to one of the Departments Medical Assesors for his decision on the rehabilitative aspects of the proposed employment.

If the person is not satisfied with a decision to refuse approval of an application to have employment or self-employment considered rehabilitative the decision can be reviewed, on request, in the light of any further medical evidence or other relevant factors which may be put forward. In such cases the medical papers including any further medical evidence would be referred to the Chief Medical Advisor or his Deputy.

If the person does not agree with the decision or revised decision on an application to have employment or self-employment considered rehabilitative, the person may appeal the decision to the Chief Appeals Officer, Social Welfare Appeals Office.

Advertisement