Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype alternatives?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Just started using Skype for a home-based business and not very impressed with it so far.

The whole point of going with it was so that I could get a geographic number for incoming calls, forward calls to Skype mobile (Android) when I'm out, or forward them to another landline/phone, and have voicemail as a backup.

The first problem is the call quality isn't great, particularly on Skype mobile.

Even worse, I've now discovered I can't access voicemails from the mobile, I need to be at my desk signed into Skype to do so. This renders it a bit pointless.

There's a bit of lag in forwarding the call too, which means I either give myself just a few seconds to answer it, or I leave the voicemail delay long enough that a lot of people will just hang up.

Can anyone recommend a service that:
    - provides a geographic number
    - has decent call quality
    - can forward immediately to an alternative number, and to voicemail if the call is still not answered.
    - has voicemail that I can access from anywhere.

If there's a corresponding Android app that means I can forward calls to my mobile for free, even better. But it's a support line that I'm not expecting a huge volume of calls on, so that's not necessarily an issue.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Blueface is what you want, I've been using them the last few years, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Blueface is what you want, I've been using them the last few years, happy enough.

Cheers, the one thing that had put me off them was that they didn't seem to have a 1 month option so I could test it out.
    but a) I've found one now, and b) I've just realised the Skype subscription is due for renewal tomorrow, so Blueface here I come!

Based on a couple of hours of playing around with Blueface, it's definitely superior to Skype. I don't have an IP phone so this is all based on forwarding through other phones (using Fring as the SIP client on Android), or the X-Lite VOIP client recommended by Blueface.

Call quality:
    Way better, none of the background hiss I was getting on Skype. I've tried various combinations of forwarding incoming calls to a landline or to a mobile through Fring, and sound quality is very good on them all.

Call lag:
    Getting maybe a half second lag, probably less, on landline forwarding. A bit longer on the mobile. About the same lag I was getting on Skype, maybe less. It's barely noticeable on the landline, mobile is a slight nuisance but usable.

Call forwarding:
    Calls simultaneously forwarded to landline and mobile SIP client ring pretty much instantly, as opposed to the few seconds it was taking for Skype to forward to another phone.

Voicemail:
    Way better. Can access it by dialing in from any phone, and messages are instantly e-mailed as a wav attachment (although I'm having trouble accessing those on my Android, but that's another story). As opposed to Skype, where you can only access your voicemail from your PC client at your desk (as in about 1997).

Cost:
    Skype was working out at €10.24 for an online number and unlimited landline minutes within Ireland, with voicemail. That's in Skype credits, so there's 15% VAT paid on those, giving €11.54
    I've signed up for the basic Blueface residential* package, with voicemail and up to 300 landline minutes withing Ireland, and that's €9.99 for a month (€8.26 ex VAT).

*From reading the TOS, unlimited residential call packages are not permitted for business use, and may be terminated. However, this isn't an unlimited package, and I can't find anything in the TOS against using it for business. I'll obviously need to check that out if I'm planning to keep using it.

Interface:
    The web interface on Blueface isn't as polished as Skype, and the X-Lite VOIP client is a bit uglier, but on the other hand trying to actually find the Skype setting you're looking for can be a bit tricky. On the mobile, while Fring has a jokier look than the Skype client, the integration with other IM clients is handy. And I presume there's alternatives to Fring and X-Lite.

I've been a Skype fan for years, but for business use, they really fall down on some of the basic stuff, particularly the voicemail. Based purely on initial experience, I'd definitely recommend Blueface.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What kind of mobile have you, you could probably run it through that...

What kind of mobile have you, you could probably run it through that...

Desire Hd, yep, runs fine on that using Fring.
    Although I've just realised that's over Wifi, not sure what the quality is like over 3g/Edge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 efran7

I am thinking of joining Bluface and porting my eircom Landline number to Blueface. I don't depend on the eircom landline for my internet connection so I figured I would be able to get rid of the landline and thus save on the line rental charges.

On the Bluface website it advises the following regarding landline:
    When do I cancel my Existing Phone line?

NEVER. You do not need to cancel your current fixed telephone line it will happen automatically as part of the port. If you do cancel your line with your service provider it will potentially cause them to lose your number and result in significant time and expense to get it back.

I would be really grateful if any one who has perhaps ported their eircom landline number to blueface following the above method can let me know if once this is done, will I then stop being charged a line rental from eircom every 2 months?

Also, apart from the porting process, would I have to cancel my talk plan which is eircom talktime anytime uk - or is this done automatically as part of the porting process.

I apologise if the answers are obvious but I am totally new to the voip process. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

efran7

Advertisement