Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB online application?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am trying to get a laser/debit card and currently bank with BOI. I am thinking of switching to TSB because Im hearing great things about them. On their website I see you can apply online for a current account and they automatically give you a debit card. I don't want an overdraft I just want to be able to spend the money I lodge in the bank. I dont have any accounts or anything with TSB and am wondering how this whole online application thing works, any feedback on what TSB are like to bank with ? Ive heard nothing bad from friends that deal with them. Has anyone applied for a current account the online way ?? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I dealt with PTSB for the past 4 years having been with AIB the previous 9. Nothing but bad experiences with PTSB.

First, not much point applying for an account online when they need to take copies of your passport and proof of address. Just go into a local branch.

Opening a current account was relatively straightforward with PTSB.

Applying for a laser card was a fiasco as they wanted proof I was employed. When I came in with a copy of my contract the branch staff member said "oh, carmel is on jobshare. she only works half the week. can you come back on thursday?" (I suggested she take a copy and give it to carmel when she returned, so I would not have to take another few hours off work)

Applying for a visa card took over 2 months as they forgot to tell me requirements (instead they just kept telling me to wait another 3-5 working days for the card to arrive). Then when I sent the requirements they lost them.

They were extremely rude when I was applying for a mortgage with a condescending "im sure you can appreciate we have many other customers who are equally eager to get mortgage approval".. then she went on holidays for 2 weeks without even telling me or passing her workload to someone else.

Not to mention they effectively doubled variable rates and even hiked interest rates by 1% when the ECB base rate was at a record low.

And when they sent me a new Visa debit card... it didn't work due to a system problem. They meant to send a replacement card but due to a system problem they didn't do that either.

On the other hand, I never had any problems with AIB. Credit card application went smoothly. Laser card was given to me upon opening the account. No jumping through hoops or phoning up for them to fix things.

This is just my experience, but I would recommend AIB over PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ziadn27

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I dealt with PTSB for the past 4 years having been with AIB the previous 9. Nothing but bad experiences with PTSB.

First, not much point applying for an account online when they need to take copies of your passport and proof of address. Just go into a local branch.

Opening a current account was relatively straightforward with PTSB.

Applying for a laser card was a fiasco as they wanted proof I was employed. When I came in with a copy of my contract the branch staff member said "oh, carmel is on jobshare. she only works half the week. can you come back on thursday?" (I suggested she take a copy and give it to carmel when she returned, so I would not have to take another few hours off work)

Applying for a visa card took over 2 months as they forgot to tell me requirements (instead they just kept telling me to wait another 3-5 working days for the card to arrive). Then when I sent the requirements they lost them.

They were extremely rude when I was applying for a mortgage with a condescending "im sure you can appreciate we have many other customers who are equally eager to get mortgage approval".. then she went on holidays for 2 weeks without even telling me or passing her workload to someone else.

Not to mention they effectively doubled variable rates and even hiked interest rates by 1% when the ECB base rate was at a record low.

And when they sent me a new Visa debit card... it didn't work due to a system problem. They meant to send a replacement card but due to a system problem they didn't do that either.

On the other hand, I never had any problems with AIB. Credit card application went smoothly. Laser card was given to me upon opening the account. No jumping through hoops or phoning up for them to fix things.

This is just my experience, but I would recommend AIB over PTSB.

Thats funny reading your comment reminded me of everything that has occurred to me when i opened my account with ptsb drumcondra branch. The same sequence of events that you have explained i have dealt with. Only they lost my documents twice. On the day of account opening they took a copy of my proof of address which was a statement from a closed account which was Halifax whom I was very comfortable with (Sadly they had to close their IRISH branches). They told me to wait 3-5 working days to get details of bank account in the mail i waited 7 days then went back to the branch and they told me that the proof of address needed to be within the past 6 months. I told them that they should have contacted me and informed me of this instead of having me wait a whole week. anyway i can go on telling stories about all the problems with PTSB. I would say NationwideukIreland account opening went much smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

MC.ISF wrote: »
    I am trying to get a laser/debit card and currently bank with BOI. I am thinking of switching to TSB because Im hearing great things about them. On their website I see you can apply online for a current account and they automatically give you a debit card. I don't want an overdraft I just want to be able to spend the money I lodge in the bank. I dont have any accounts or anything with TSB and am wondering how this whole online application thing works, any feedback on what TSB are like to bank with ? Ive heard nothing bad from friends that deal with them. Has anyone applied for a current account the online way ?? Thanks

I am with ptsb in cork. I hate dealing with them. I only stay with them as I have free banking.
    A few years ago I asked them for a laser card when I was doing a transaction. Told me to make an appointment with the manager and bring payslips and id. They could see my wages going in every week, was that not proof that I was working! I never did, I stuck with my atm card.
    Two years ago I needed 5000e quickly, to pay a doctors bill of one of my relatives who were unwell. Had to go through an "interview" with a manager in front of people queuing. I had a few grand saved but wanted to leave this intact. They refused me over... wait for it a 2 euro difference in my pay from one week to the next. Asking me why is there that difference?? I said, I dont know. Maybe I was late one morning.
    I would not advise anyone to go to ptsb.

Advertisement