Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a previously crashed golf

Options
  • 04-10-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have the oppurtunity to buy a 05 Golf (1.4 petrol, sport, 45,000 miles) for around €5,000 from a small gargage/repair shop. To me it looked immaculate .. drove well on test drive and seemed very clean.

I got a friend of mine whose a mechanic to check the car out as i thought the deal was too good to be true.

Turns out the car had been crashed .. the bonnet, bumpers and some of the panelling had been replaced in the last month or so .. he could tell this straight away from a quick inspection. He believes that this is 'not the original car' and has many replacement parts.

What are the risks associated with buying a car that has recently been crashed/repaired?? Is it just a complete no go area??

Im half tempted to bargain him down to a cheaper price because id really love a golf and this seems to be the only way i can afford one!! Any thoughts welcome!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It depends on the quality of work. Most that have been done right will be ok. My old car was crash repaired. It was never the same as one that came out of the factory (handling issues, excessive tyre wear, extra wind noise).

How did it handle through the corners? Does it pull to one side on straight stretches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

If it drives straight and just had panel damage then I wouldnt really worry about it.
    The thing is how will you know if it had panel damage only? In the UK there are categories of damage.
    I wouldnt touch it if the chassis rails were hit as it wont ever drive straight then. Then theres the cut and shut worry also where your driving 2 cars welded together that could fall apart at any moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's repaired perfectly it should be fine. Make sure for starters it's got a valid NCT. Get a copy of any documentation regarding the crash, particularly any insurance claim.

Did the sellers tell you it was accident repaired?

If it all checks out ok and you still want to buy, haggle. Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mac89

No they didnt tell me it was crashed .... suprise suprise!! :P .... The garage is in town so it was very hard to give the car a good run around tiny backstreets.The NCT is valid until February 2013.

Would a report from motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie give any information about the crash?? Or is there any other ways of getting evidence of the damage??

The garage wont tell the full story anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

to be fair thats not an amazing price for an 05 golf , is it really worth saving 500 or so euro to be driving a car that was crashed to an unknown extent, for something as common as a golf id walk away from that one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Mac89 wrote: »
    No they didnt tell me it was crashed .... suprise suprise!! :P .... The garage is in town so it was very hard to give the car a good run around tiny backstreets.The NCT is valid until February 2013.

Would a report from motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie give any information about the crash?? Or is there any other ways of getting evidence of the damage??

It'd tell you if the car was clocked, 45k miles seems a bit too low for me at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They don't have to tell you the car is crashed so them not telling you this is no big deal to be be honest. What you should do is ask them directly if the car was ever crashed and repaired. As far as I know they are obliged to tell you the truth and if they don't I'd walk as who wants to be dealing with people like that?
    If you like the car go for it but why set tie yourself to a Golf. There are loads of straight cars that are just as good as, if not better, than a 75bhp 1.4 Golf. A Civic or a Focus would be my suggestions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No they didnt tell me it was crashed .... suprise suprise!! :P ....

Walk away in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Walk / run away. Not worth the hassle, not as if its a rare model or amazing value. Crashed cars regardless how well they are done are trouble in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Best bet is to ask then straight out about the extent of the crash and if they have any documentation to back it up...
    Many years ago I bought a crash/repaired Almera, I was told up front by the garage and they even put me in touch with the repair centre for a chat.. We had the car for years and appart from being a Nissan Almera it was perfect..

If they aren't forthcoming with some decent information and the fact that they tried to pass it off then I'd steer clear..

• Advertisement

sundula wrote: »
    Walk / run away. Not worth the hassle, not as if its a rare model or amazing value. Crashed cars regardless how well they are done are trouble in my opinion.

No they're not. A crashed car professionally repaired can be fine. Generalisations like that are way off the mark.

OP, just ask straight out if the car was crashed. They've been above board with you so far so give them a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What's the point in taking a chance on a crashed Golf when there is a gazillion others for sale at the moment?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    What's the point in taking a chance on a crashed Golf when there is a gazillion others for sale at the moment?

.. Because its about €2,500 cheaper than the other ones for sale!! ....

Looking at carzone etc .. an 05 black golf with that mileage could set me back around 8K!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

the bonnet, bumpers and some of the panelling had been replaced in the last month or so .. he could tell this straight away from a quick inspection. He believes that this is 'not the original car' and has many replacement parts.

Looking at carzone etc .. an 05 black golf with that mileage could set me back around 8K!!

Does it sound expertly repaired to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Also isn't Carzone known for being overpriced anyways?

From the outside it looks pristine .... but what i dont know is how extensive the crash was. If it was just the bumper and the front of the bonnet i wouldn't be concerned really .. but how is there any way of knowing for certain how bad the crash was??

coolbeans wrote: »
    No they're not. A crashed car professionally repaired can be fine. Generalisations like that are way off the mark.

OP, just ask straight out if the car was crashed. They've been above board with you so far so give them a fair chance.

Thats your opinion, I cleared stated mine I didnt state it was fact. I have seen several cars get repaired after smacks and then see them burn through tires, wear shocks and pads and an usually high rate, with the driver always wondering was the wear because of the crash or something else.
    In one instance I know a guy who bought a 318 that had a smack on the passenger wing while it was parked in a carpark, not bad, just required a wing, a bumper, the head light didnt even break. Repaired and painting by quality guys including check and service by mechanic, several monthes later the steering started to grind. Turned out the steer rack was leaking. The garage who repaired the car and a independant mechanic were all of the opinion the crash had probably knocked the rack enough to damage it.
    There is no way of telling what unseen damage any crash has done to a car or what has been knocked out of line or what has been weakened or what part will excessively wear in a few months time. There is enough that can go wrong with a car without buying one that has already been crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

My laguna was planted in a roundabout by a previous owner and needed a new bonnet, wing, bumper, lights at driver's side, wishbone, trackrods etc. Chassis leg was fine. I've done 104,000 miles on it since I bought it and its fine, no uneven tyre wear or pulling.

Not all repairs are dodgy. Ask the person who viewed the car if he thinks the repairs are ok and if it drove ok to him. Mabey get an extended warranty if you can....let the seller know you know it was crashed/repaired.

sundula wrote: »
    Thats your opinion, I cleared stated mine I didnt state it was fact. I have seen several cars get repaired after smacks and then see them burn through tires, wear shocks and pads and an usually high rate, with the driver always wondering was the wear because of the crash or something else.
    In one instance I know a guy who bought a 318 that had a smack on the passenger wing while it was parked in a carpark, not bad, just required a wing, a bumper, the head light didnt even break. Repaired and painting by quality guys including check and service by mechanic, several monthes later the steering started to grind. Turned out the steer rack was leaking. The garage who repaired the car and a independant mechanic were all of the opinion the crash had probably knocked the rack enough to damage it.
    There is no way of telling what unseen damage any crash has done to a car or what has been knocked out of line or what has been weakened or what part will excessively wear in a few months time. There is enough that can go wrong with a car without buying one that has already been crashed.

Yeah, and I know a guy who bought a crash repaired car and he says it's the best car he ever owned. Your original statement covered all crash repairs.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Yeah, and I know a guy who bought a crash repaired car and he says it's the best car he ever owned. Your original statement covered all crash repairs.

Yep, thats because i think your better off staying away from all crash repairs. Its just aonther set a parameters you have to factor into the purchase which I many instances is not worth the hassle. The car in this case is a 1.4 Golf, its not as if there is not plenty of uncrashed alternatives out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Wouldn't touch off it. It's only a Golf, buy something else with your 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the garage/repair shop selling it are not willing to disclose what sort of damage was repaired then walk away. If it was a simple shunt and just panels/bumpers replaced then it would not be a big issue for them to disclose this information.

The fact that they didn't disclose that it was a previously crashed repaired car in the first place would be enough for me to not darken their door again irrespective of the price.

Advertisement