Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas in a hotel?

Options
  • 04-10-2011 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

Has anyone ever stayed in a hotel over the christmas period? We normally have big family get togethers in e.g one or other of the granny&Grandads houses but this year most of the old folks are going away to be pampered and served in a hotel. They deserve it:)
    Its quite costly and there is kids clubs etc. Some of the rest of the families including young children, have decided to join.

To me this is madness .1st there is the expense, then the amount of gear/santa stuff etc that would need to be brought, and then the thought of chasing the young kids around the hotel (and the possibility that the old folks probably will be inconvenienced) and the sleeping arrangements etc.
    Anyone done this and how didit work out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Has anyone ever stayed in a hotel over the christmas period? We normally have big family get togethers in e.g one or other of the granny&Grandads houses but this year most of the old folks are going away to be pampered and served in a hotel. They deserve it:)
    Its quite costly and there is kids clubs etc. Some of the rest of the families including young children, have decided to join.

To me this is madness .1st there is the expense, then the amount of gear/santa stuff etc that would need to be brought, and then the thought of chasing the young kids around the hotel (and the possibility that the old folks probably will be inconvenienced) and the sleeping arrangements etc.
    Anyone done this and how didit work out?

Where are they going?

OK, we're having a big debate here about going away for Christmas to a hotel. The rooms have been booked (excellent rates) but can be cancelled without any cost to us, BUT I've always had Christmas at home, it just seems weird going to a hotel for Christmas, (this would be in Dublin) it should be at home where you eat too much, slob out and get stuck in the house if it snows :eek:

One year I had Christmas dinner at a relative's house and it RUINED Christmas day for me (but the food was fab), was not the same. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Mark

It's quite a big thing in England where the other half is from - we have done it a couple of times over there, but wouldn't really consider it here.

I honestly didn't think many places were open??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

flutegirl wrote: »
    Where are they going?
    Slieve Russel in Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Hi Pennypitstop-my mum has asked me to look into prices for the Slieve Russel in Cavan for Christmas but they didnt have any prices for me last week!
    Would you mind me asking roughly what kind of deal you got?
    Or private message me if you don't mind?

We would love to get away (9 adults, 1 child) for Christmas eve and Christmas night-just something different this year!!

Thanks so much

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Hi Pennypitstop-my mum has asked me to look into prices for the Slieve Russel in Cavan for Christmas but they didnt have any prices for me last week!
    Would you mind me asking roughly what kind of deal you got?
    Or private message me if you don't mind?

We would love to get away (9 adults, 1 child) for Christmas eve and Christmas night-just something different this year!!

Thanks so much

We are not going ourselves but I'm pretty sure its just over 400euro per adult for 3 nights, kids are less but I could take the family away for a week in the sun for what it would cost to go there!

• Advertisement

wow expensive! I do like the idea but your right-a week in the sun would be the same price. I better break it to my mum that I don't think we'll be having Christmas in Cavan!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My aunt and cousins do it every year - have been in lots of hotels all over the country. They always have a great time but to be honest the cost is huge for a couple of days.

Can anybody recommened any good deals around the country?
    Slieve Russell Cavan is coming in way over budget but I still like the idea of getting away.
    Do you mind me asking where you ended up booking Flutegirl? I've spent a few Chritsmas's away from home and in the in-laws but I like the idea of us all being away together.

Advertisement