Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New English and Media

Options
  • 04-10-2011 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm currently a 6th Year student that is looking into further options in education. I'd love to do work in media or advertising. Is this course a direct leading way into these areas or is it a waste of time? What can you get from this course ,career wise afterwise? What are in the contents of the course? I've had a look online, but there isn't that much in depth details about the course that I'd like to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's new media and english btw ;)

To be honest very few courses are a direct leading way to anything any more, you'll need to do some form of postgrad study.

A mix of English literature modules, some are boring some are interesting enough, some sociology modules, many cultural studies modules- you'll deal with the media in some way in the latter two. You do co-op (work placement) in second half of 2nd year, a good few of my friends have been to media related industries for that.

If you google "UL book of modules"- put the module codes from the course outline into this and it'll provide details about the various modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Hi, currently a third year New Media and English student. As the post above mentioned, a BA in any course really isn't a direct path to a career anymore. What the course has given me so far (I feel) is a basic grounding in the study of media, new media such as the internet. We also did a bit of work with regards to advertising and marketing, and how viewers/consumers etc interact with those products.

Also have a good background in social and cultural theory (the study of people, language and their relationship). However, the strongest aspect of my degree I find is my English literature. There is a lot of literature study, and I have yet to really feel like new media's really been explored. Certainly hasn't been in the way you're looking for anyway.

I like my degree, but I don't necessarily think it would give enough attention to the aspects you're interested in. Then again, that's what further study is for. You could probably get into a media-related job through it, but that would mean postgrad work.

Digital Media Design is a course in UL that ties in with New Media and English, but might be a more in-depth look at advertising design etc., (feel free, people who know what they're talking about, to correct me!).

Best idea is to find the course director's e-mail/phone number and ask them a question or two.

Advertisement