Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAM JOB WARNING !!!

Options
  • 03-10-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

If you see any of these adverts in the Evening Herald please avoid at all costs.

(Scam 1)

Truck drivers wanted urgently, must have full clean licence
    Tel: 1890 *******

When you call you get through to a driving school which is based in the Jamestown Business Park, Finglas, Dublin 11.

"They claim they are looking for truck drivers for a number of bluechip clients who have asked them to select and recruit 'Professional' drivers on their behalf. Heres the snag: To ensure your driving meets the 'Professional' standard required by their 'bluechip' clients you will need to take a driving assessment with them at a cost of €220. Not surprisingly your driving will not meet the required standard, but not too worry they will train you further to 'Professional' standard at additional cost. In the very unlikely event that your deemed a 'Professional driver' after your first assessment you'll simply be told that your details have been passed onto their 'Bluechip client's' who will be in touch with you regarding an interview."

(Needless to say you'll have a long wait for your job interview).

(Scam 2)

We are currently recruiting Driving Instructors to join our highly successful team. No experience necessary as training is available.
    Recession proof career. Permanent positions are available with excellent conditions. Requirements: Full clean drivers licence is essential.
    Please apply with CV and Cover Letter.

" You'll be required to pay €4/€5,000 in training fees and costs, adi registration etc you'll be encouraged to take out a loan from the bank, credit union, family , friends etc they will apply high pressure sales tactics mentioning the fact they have a job there for you when your qualified you'll be earning €35 per hour etc etc. Its all a load of lies they will just keep telling you your not upto the standard required to pass the instructors test and will bleed you of as much money as they can. ( I emailed this same company a cv claiming to be a fully qualified rsa approved and registered driving instructor covering car,rigid and artic truck with over 12 years experience, guess what ? they said they would keep my details on file that was 5 months ago, so why are they claiming to have jobs lined up for driving instructors?).

This company are preying on vunerable jobseekers with false promises of jobs. Please beware of this company at all costs....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Thanks for that , there have been threads here before about the scam with Driving Instructor jobs , the Truck driving is a new one on me though.

Loathsome tactics and alas we can expect to see more employment scams in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

How do you know they are scammers OP?

There have been a number of users here with the same story from this driving school - jobs are advertised but upon applying the applicant is required to fork out a couple of hundred so they can be ' tested ' .
    The rest is very much as the OP has outlined.
    The lure of a job is being used to drum up business for this driving school.

If it looks like a scam , if it sounds like a scam then its fair to conclude that is just what it is.

Think Joe Duffy had a piece on this a few week ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I think they may be breaking the law.

I believe there's a law against agents taking a fees from job applicants.

krd wrote: »
    I think they may be breaking the law.

I believe there's a law against agents taking a fees from job applicants.

Dunno about that - Ryanair charge pilot applicants a fee for applying ( as distinct from charging them for their type ratings ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think a recruitment agency manager did confirm that a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Real scammers - I know that if you apply directly to a bluechip co to drive for them like eddie stobart, they'll test you if your sucessfull to see if your skills fit what they want from a professional driver, and they don't charge you for it. A proper Company to be fair.

This crowd the OP refers to,should be exposed or what they are ......scamming scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Let's watch the language please. I'd much rather keep these threads open than have to close them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It is illegal for a recruitment agency to charge a candidate any fee. And if they are recruiting for a third party they need to have a recruitment license from the Dept of Trade which explicitly states that candidates cannot be charged fees.

The agency in question might try to wriggle out of this legal obligation by saying they are providing training, not charging a fee to get a job. If anyone who thinks they were scammed feels the need to complain then this link gives more info

http://www.djei.ie/employment/agency/index.htm

I seem to remember some movie extra company also charging candidates a fee to be on their database, not sure of the legalities of that either.

Basic rule is that if an ' employer ' seeks an upfront payment then its time to walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,734 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RATM wrote: »
    I seem to remember some movie extra company also charging candidates a fee to be on their database, not sure of the legalities of that either.

Indeed, they can charge you a fee for a service, like having some photos taken for your portfolio for them.

The collective wisdom of boards suggest that

- the movie extras thing is genuine, and some people make money out of it

- the driving assessment thing is not, and no one is ever good enough.

Individual jobseekers can choose whether to believe this or to test these options out for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Nearly got roped into this with the Irish School of Motoring in Jamestown. I knew something was strange and though it was too good to be true.

When I applied I got a phone call about 2 days later with a telephone interview. Alarm bells started ringing when I heard a figure of 140-160 euro to be tested.

And I though that company was decent , they should be exposed for what they are. If this was in the UK , they would be on Watchdog getting named and shamed with video evidence.

Times are hard at the moment, jobs are hard to come by and money is tight. Irish School of Motoring are playing with peoples emoctions telling them they will get a job and then scamming then out of money. They should be ashamed of themselves and people would want to boycott them for lessons. Sure god knows what they would tell you when your learning to drive.

msg11 wrote: »
    Sure god knows what they would tell you when your learning to drive.

They would tell you that you need more lessons :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Delancey wrote: »
    They would tell you that you need more lessons :mad:

I know that, but I just hope they don't put anyone down doing so.

I doubt that they give a fiddlers about hurting someones feelings , they just want to screw money out of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 G diddy

ted88 wrote: »
    If you see any of these adverts in the Evening Herald please avoid at all costs.

(Scam 1)

Truck drivers wanted urgently, must have full clean licence
    Tel: 1890 *******

When you call you get through to a driving school which is based in the Jamestown Business Park, Finglas, Dublin 11.

"They claim they are looking for truck drivers for a number of bluechip clients who have asked them to select and recruit 'Professional' drivers on their behalf. Heres the snag: To ensure your driving meets the 'Professional' standard required by their 'bluechip' clients you will need to take a driving assessment with them at a cost of €220. Not surprisingly your driving will not meet the required standard, but not too worry they will train you further to 'Professional' standard at additional cost. In the very unlikely event that your deemed a 'Professional driver' after your first assessment you'll simply be told that your details have been passed onto their 'Bluechip client's' who will be in touch with you regarding an interview."

(Needless to say you'll have a long wait for your job interview).

(Scam 2)

We are currently recruiting Driving Instructors to join our highly successful team. No experience necessary as training is available.
    Recession proof career. Permanent positions are available with excellent conditions. Requirements: Full clean drivers licence is essential.
    Please apply with CV and Cover Letter.

" You'll be required to pay €4/€5,000 in training fees and costs, adi registration etc you'll be encouraged to take out a loan from the bank, credit union, family , friends etc they will apply high pressure sales tactics mentioning the fact they have a job there for you when your qualified you'll be earning €35 per hour etc etc. Its all a load of lies they will just keep telling you your not upto the standard required to pass the instructors test and will bleed you of as much money as they can. ( I emailed this same company a cv claiming to be a fully qualified rsa approved and registered driving instructor covering car,rigid and artic truck with over 12 years experience, guess what ? they said they would keep my details on file that was 5 months ago, so why are they claiming to have jobs lined up for driving instructors?).

This company are preying on vunerable jobseekers with false promises of jobs. Please beware of this company at all costs....

Having previously worked there i can confirm that both of these ads are scams and have been in newspapers and online for months if not years.
    They do not care about your test or you getting a job as they have no contacts with any clients nevermind blue chip ones.They care about 1 thing only and that is to take your money.
    The Hgv instructors are excellent and try their best to minimise your spending but it is not easy as within a day of finishing your lesson you will have a call lookin to book your next lesson.
    Rates of pay are generally 15- 20 euro an hour you will not see €35 per hour and if you were unlucky enough to get an instructing job you will more than likely walk out after a month.It has a massive turnover of staff some not even lasting a week
    Please look around at prices before even contacting this school as most schools will have instructors trained to the exact same standard

Advertisement