Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure if I have asked this before.

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I tend to suffer from slight memory problems at times so forgive me if I have asked this before.

I am part Irish part English. Would the phrase "Leath Eirennach leath sassennach es are me" be acceptable grammar. Or even correct?

(I want to get it on a car sticker if possible.)

Thanks in advance for your help, and if I have asked before thanks again for your patience.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the "es are me" could be from Scottish Gaelic/Gàidhlig. The spelling for Sasanach isn't as it usually would be in Irish either.

My best effort would be:

"Is duine leath Éireannach 's leath-Shasanach mé."

Wait for confirmation from more posters though. Hopefully you'll get a few more replies here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think the "es are me" could be from Scottish Gaelic/Gàidhlig. The spelling for Sasanach isn't as it usually would be in Irish either.

My best effort would be:

"Is duine leath Éireannach 's leath-Shasanach mé."

Wait for confirmation from more posters though. Hopefully you'll get a few more replies here. :)

Thank you for that Insect Overlord. Appreciated.:)

Does this look right? If so it could be the car sticker for me.:pac:

Bródúil as a bheith leath Gaeilge agus leath Béarla.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rubecula wrote: »
    Does this look right? If so it could be the car sticker for me.:pac:

Bródúil as a bheith leath Gaeilge agus leath Béarla.

Gaeilge and Béarla are the names of the languages, not of the nationalities. :)

I think "leath-Ghaelach agus leath-Shasanach." (with the same start as you had above) would work though.

Gaeilge and Béarla are the names of the languages, not of the nationalities. :)

I think "leath-Ghaelach agus leath-Shasanach." (with the same start as you had above) would work though.

Thank you very much. :)

Oops I mean.

Raibh míle maith agat

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

An alternative

leath-Ghaelach agus leath-Shasanach agus bródúil as

You have all been very helpful and I appreciate all your suggestions and aid. Thank you guys.:)

Advertisement