Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sun cream

Options
  • 03-10-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

hey im going on holiday next week but havent found a place with a good range of sun cream anywhere i have seen it its all high factors left.

do you know of anywhere stocking a good range this time of the year ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

got what i wanted last week in Aldi. I'm in the Galway area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yup they're on special offer in Aldi on the dublin rd at the mo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Yup they're on special offer in Aldi on the dublin rd at the mo :D

Be careful with sunscreens. They have a lot of toxic chemicals in them most of which are linked to skin and other cancers. Better advice would be not to get burnt by wearing appropriate clothing or use natural sunscreens from health shops. Cosmetics companies have a lot to answer for recommending we cover ourselves babies and children with cancer causing chemicals.

http://www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Lot of toxic chemicals in Coca-Cola too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

/
    did you try Boots and stuff? would a chemist have any I wonder
    what about Superdrug's online site?

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Lot of toxic chemicals in Coca-Cola too.

I dont believe Coca Cola is an anti cancer health product. Besides that can you back that up with any specific evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I was being flippant.

The poster wanted to know where to buy sun-cream. They didn't look for a sermon on the health risks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The lesser of two evils maybe?

Skin cancer as far as I know is one of the top two cancer killers in Ireland so it's high factor all the way for our hols every year, no longer interested in getting a tan but don't want to burn that's for sure

I was being flippant.

The poster wanted to know where to buy sun-cream. They didn't look for a sermon on the health risks of it.

Well maybe less flippancy then..i suggested health shops for the non toxic ones and a reason why. You offered nothing.

The lesser of two evils maybe?

Skin cancer as far as I know is one of the top two cancer killers in Ireland so it's high factor all the way for our hols every year, no longer interested in getting a tan but don't want to burn that's for sure

A recent study has shown that exposure to the sun is not an evil..like everything though in moderation. Anyway just check the link. Its May 2011 so recent info.

Scientists reverse stance on sun and cancer: Now they admit sunlight can prevent skin cancer

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/032533_sun_exposure_skin_cancer.html#ixzz1ZpcK7QUc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was being flippant.

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Well maybe less flippancy then..i suggested health shops for the non toxic ones and a reason why. You offered nothing.

calm-down.jpg

The following is taken from the Irish Cancer Society website

Skin cancer is the most common cancer in Ireland amongst both men and women.
    • There are just over 8,000 new cases diagnosed every year.
    • Nine out of every ten cases of skin cancer are caused by the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays and therefore can be prevented.
    • Up to 90% of UV rays can pass through light clouds.
      • For this reason you need to take care on cloudy days too.
    • Children and babies have very sensitive skin which can burn easily.
    • A tan or sunburn may go away but the sun damage to your skin is permanent. It builds up every year and can lead to skin cancer in later life.
    • Protect yourself by following the SunSmart Code.

How to be SunSmart

Cover upWear sunscreenSeek shade
    Protect your eyes: wear sunglassesAvoid sunbeds and sunlamps

Vampiric avoidance of the sun is not what the original post was about, they were just looking for sunscreen for their hols, seems sensible to me, off to look at my kittens now

The following is taken from the Irish Cancer Society website

Skin cancer is the most common cancer in Ireland amongst both men and women.
    • There are just over 8,000 new cases diagnosed every year.
    • Nine out of every ten cases of skin cancer are caused by the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays and therefore can be prevented.
    • Up to 90% of UV rays can pass through light clouds.
      • For this reason you need to take care on cloudy days too.
    • Children and babies have very sensitive skin which can burn easily.
    • A tan or sunburn may go away but the sun damage to your skin is permanent. It builds up every year and can lead to skin cancer in later life.
    • Protect yourself by following the SunSmart Code.

How to be SunSmart

Cover upWear sunscreenSeek shade
    Protect your eyes: wear sunglassesAvoid sunbeds and sunlamps

Vampiric avoidance of the sun is not what the original post was about, they were just looking for sunscreen for their hols, seems sensible to me, off to look at my kittens now

The Irish Cancer Society only follow internationally recommended advice which is only recently being questioned. The FDA still recommend the use of sunscreen contrary to the latest studies which recommend exposure to the sun for absorption of Vit D. They are currently reviewing their position.
    Ironically the reason Irish people could have high rates of skin cancer and other cancers could be our lack of sun exposure and heavy use of sunscreen. Sunscreen blocks Vit D absorption and Vit D helps against a range of cancers.
    First time I looked at sunscreen ingredients and done some research i was shocked. Have a look at your Aldi bottle ingredients and google them individually. A lot of them are skin cancer accelerators and cancer causing..especially when exposed to the sun. These are not my theories. Just google sunscreen ingredients or read independent studies.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032819_sun_exposure_sunscreen.html

jsd1004 wrote: »
    The Irish Cancer Society only follow internationally recommended advice which is only recently being questioned. The FDA still recommend the use of sunscreen contrary to the latest studies which recommend exposure to the sun for absorption of Vit D. They are currently reviewing their position.
    Ironically the reason Irish people could have high rates of skin cancer and other cancers could be our lack of sun exposure and heavy use of sunscreen. Sunscreen blocks Vit D absorption and Vit D helps against a range of cancers.
    First time I looked at sunscreen ingredients and done some research i was shocked. Have a look at your Aldi bottle ingredients and google them individually. A lot of them are skin cancer accelerators and cancer causing..especially when exposed to the sun. These are not my theories. Just google sunscreen ingredients or read independent studies.

http://www.naturalnews.com/032819_sun_exposure_sunscreen.html

Surely following current international advice, the FDA's included is the way to go until that advice changes. You say they are reviewing their position, they may not change it.

Other than when the milky white Irish are on their hols, I doubt very much that they are heavy users of sunscreen, come to think of it, you can usually spot us and our celtic cousins on hols a mile off, we are often quite pink in colour and in pain

Personally, I will continue to use a high factor sunscreen on holidays and on summer days here to protect me and my family from sunburn when outside and the damage it causes. Kids especially on holidays are not going to sit in the shade covered from head to toe even in light clothing, it's not practical advice.

If international advice changes, then of course people should take notice

Surely following current international advice, the FDA's included is the way to go until that advice changes. You say they are reviewing their position, they may not change it.

Other than when the milky white Irish are on their hols, I doubt very much that they are heavy users of sunscreen, come to think of it, you can usually spot us and our celtic cousins on hols a mile off, we are often quite pink in colour and in pain

Personally, I will continue to use a high factor sunscreen on holidays and on summer days here to protect me and my family from sunburn when outside and the damage it causes. Kids especially on holidays are not going to sit in the shade covered from head to toe even in light clothing, it's not practical advice.

If international advice changes, then of course people should take notice

Of course it is a personal choice. I was just suggesting natural sunscreen.Enjoy your hols :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I was in Tesco today and they had lots and lots of the Suncreams for sale for half price.

They had Ambre Solaire, Nivea, Johnson&Johnson and Piz Buin off the top of my head and in all the factors.

Advertisement