Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newt/lizard found in Irish house

Options
  • 03-10-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi folks can anyone tell me what this is. This appeared under my friends couch the other day and startled us :)

http://db.tt/vIS0AXF0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Here's your pic it didn't come up on your post also made it smaller to fit, it's a newt.

[IMG][/img]lizx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Cheers pieman!

Are these common in Ireland? Never heard or seen one before. It give everyone quite a fright when we saw it crawling out from under the couch..

Que women squealing like it was a T-Rex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Abundant in my area, though not often seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Thats cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

aww! he's so lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

Smcgie wrote: »
    Cheers pieman!

Are these common in Ireland? Never heard or seen one before. It give everyone quite a fright when we saw it crawling out from under the couch..

Que women squealing like it was a T-Rex

Hi, Irish Wildlife Trust have been carrying out National Newt Surveys for a couple of years. Well they have been carrying it out with the help of volunteers, they hold training days around the country each year and you can attend and then you get your square to survey. Have a look here if you are interested http://iwt.ie/what-we-do/newt-survey/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Used to see them down at a local pond all the time when I was a kid. Newts are pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Why doesnt my pond have any newts? Are there types of ponds they dont like? My pond is a natural pond at the bottom of my field, with loads of heavy grass around it, a fair bit of duckweed and slime in summer, and no rocks or running water. The water is clear and produces lots of frogs. Any ideas?

Should I try to introduce newts?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭joela

The frogs are the problem! Newts and frogs don't always live together happily ever after I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Why doesnt my pond have any newts? Are there types of ponds they dont like? My pond is a natural pond at the bottom of my field, with loads of heavy grass around it, a fair bit of duckweed and slime in summer, and no rocks or running water. The water is clear and produces lots of frogs. Any ideas?

Should I try to introduce newts?
    How do you know it doesn't have newts?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Mothman wrote: »
    How do you know it doesn't have newts?
    Ok, ok. I have never seen a newt in my pond, despite observing the pond on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It must be a very damp house. I wonder what else is living under the couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why doesnt my pond have any newts? ..Should I try to introduce newts?
    There is a report contained in the link quoted earlier in this thread....
    Aquatic vegetation increases the suitability of a
    waterbody for newts while the presence of fish is unfavourable due to predation. The smooth newt
    will however co-habit with the common frog, even using frog tadpoles as a source of food. Outside
    of the breeding season the smooth newt has a terrestrial lifestyle utilising habitats such as long
    grass, scrub and damp woodland. “Terrestrial refugia” are an important microhabitat for the newt’s
    terrestrial existence. These are places free from frost and predators required by the newt to take
    refuge in while it enters a state of hibernation-like inactivity during winter called torpor. These
    terrestrial refugia vary from old stonewalls, to fallen logs, to outhouses.
    I would guess your pond either has some fish in it, or else lacks any suitable woodland area, or old logs nearby, for the adults to live in outside the breeding season.
    As to introducing them, no harm in putting in a few tadpoles, if you could find them, though whether that is strictly legal, I don't know.

Advertisement