Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equivalent of comreg for car insurance

Options
  • 03-10-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Having a bit of a problem with my insurance company and They've decided to charge me an extra 90 euro.

I had a similar problem with Smart telecom a few years ago and Comreg were a fantastic help and told me straight out my legal options.

Is there an equivalent for motor tax regulations?

Story is as follows. I have 2 years named driver experience and one year in my own policy with FBD. Because of this, FBD awarded me 2 years no claims bonus.

I used this to get a quote with no nonsense who quoted me a good deal.
    3 weeks into the policy after they received my documents they've called me saying that they will only count the 1 year I was on my own policy.

I thought that the previous provider decided the no claims but was told otherwise by a rep at no nonsense.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The financial services ombudsman. You will have to go through the companies complaints process first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

The financial services ombudsman. You will have to go through the companies complaints process first though.

Sounds fair.

Have you any thoughts on the scenario? Is it worth my time or do you think their in the right?

Your previous insurer sent you a no claims bonus certificate i presume (it would have been sent with the renewl), did it state 1 or 2 years NCB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think it varies from company to company how they calculate no claims bonuses earned as a named driver.

Quick google bought up this.

Might be of help.

• Advertisement

Well if you have one year on your own policy and one year as a named driver (?) , its true that some companies will not recognise the named driver experience. Not much you can do really, perhaps shop around a bit more and find a company that recognises your year as a named driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You have 1 years NCB. Anything else is at the descretion of the Insurer. If your previous insurer allowed you a discount to attract your business, why should a competitor be obliged to follow suit. A lot do, but not all and it isn't your right to insist on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its usually only as policy holder it counts as others have said.

Advertisement