Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over due date - Holles Street

Options
  • 03-10-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Im due our little baby in 9 days and I was just wondering if anyone knew the policy for going over in holles street. Do they let you go the full 2 weeks over, a friend said all hospitals must deliver by 11 days over now??? Anyone any experience?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

alde wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im due our little baby in 9 days and I was just wondering if anyone knew the policy for going over in holles street. Do they let you go the full 2 weeks over, a friend said all hospitals must deliver by 11 days over now??? Anyone any experience?? Thanks

Hey!
    I have a good friend who was induced 14 days over in July in holles st, they kinda gave her the option of a sweep on day 11 but she wanted to go naturally so didn't, but day 14 they were def about inducing her!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Just as I taught :( hopefully i will go on time and not have to worry about being induced.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I just had my baby in Holles St and I went 7 days over but went into labour on my own. My consultant told me that their policy is to scan on day 12 and if everything is ok they'll bring you back on day 14 for induction (provided you haven't started on your own in the meantime). She said if they weren't happy with the scan ie: low fluid around baby or placenta not 100%, they'd keep you in and induce on day 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Not sure about this bieing policy in all hospitals now. I had my baby in rotunda in june and they let me go 13 days over before induction. Best of luck with everything, and dont worry if you do have to be induced... Theres at least one good thing about it, you know when you are having your baby and its all planned out for you-no suprises,like your water breaking in tesco lol! Good luck and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Holles Street policy is 14 days over before induction as some of the girls here have said. It might sound daunting that you might have to wait 2 full weeks after your due date but at least you will know that there is a lower risk that you will be induced before you are ready.

The chances that you will go yourself naturally increase with every day that goes past. Some hospitals have a policy of inducing sooner but I've heard that natural labour is easier than induced labour so that should really be your top preference (if possible obviously)

On my second I was going for a VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarian) with Holles St, and at my appointment at 9 days over there was still no sign of labour. They were ready and wiling to let me go the full 14 days over, but I begged to be put down for an elective caesarian at 11 days over (they don't like to induce where you've had a caesarian before...). Even though it didn't work out for me I was lucky to be given a really good chance to go for the VBAC, in another hospital they might have insisted that I get a section earlier. I didn't feel lucky at the time I'll add - overdue time is like torture when yuo're wiating!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Hi all, i'm attending Holles Street and i'll be 39 weeks tomorrow.
    Got a membrane sweep done yesterday and been getting a lot of pressure but still think i'm going to go over....
    so does a sweep usually work?? cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Got a membrane sweep done yesterday and been getting a lot of pressure but still think i'm going to go over....

Sweeps only work if your body is nearly ready to go into labour itself, it just helps things along a little bit.

When I had my second daughter there was talk of a sweep but my consultant done an internal and told me there was no point because my cervix was still closed and not ready for birth yet. I went into labour 6 days later on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

xXxkorixXx wrote: »

i got a sweep on thurs the 19th of oct and went into labour naturally on 21st of oct and had my beautiful baby boy on his due date the 22nd. He is now 2 weeks old and thriving :)

Advertisement