Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann ticket refund?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone ever get a refund on an online ticket not used?? :)

If so, HOW??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No I haven't. Not sure why you think you should be able to, surely it's the same as any ticket not used. I'd love to see Ryanair/MCDs response to a similar request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

No I haven't. Not sure why you think you should be able to, surely it's the same as any ticket not used. I'd love to see Ryanair/MCDs response to a similar request.

sigh...

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=91#refund
    How can I get a refund for my National Ticket which I did not use?

Requests for refunds on used tickets bought on our website (www.buseireann.ie) will only be considered on receipt of written application. You should apply in writing, enclosing your unused ticket, to:
    Online Ticket Sales
    Business Development
    Bus Éireann
    Broadstone
    Dublin 7
    Ireland

Or alternatively by email.

If you did not have your confirmation email with you at time of travel and bought a replacement ticket from a Bus Éireann Driver or Booking Office staff at Bus Station, please retain that ticket and submit it in support of your refund application.

No refunds will be granted on partially used tickets.

No refund can be issued in respect of lost or stolen tickets.

Claims for refunds must be made no later than 30 days after the date on which the ticket was bought online.

Claims for refunds in respect of unused tickets will be considered solely at the discretion of Bus Eireann and will be subject to an administration charge of €5.00 per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Airlines cannot sell your seat if you don't show up but Bus Eireann can because your seat is not reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

markpb wrote: »
    Airlines cannot sell your seat if you don't show up

Yes they can.

All airlines overbook to cover 'no shows' so there is no such thing as a guaranteed seat. Even with a confirmed reservation you can be 'denied boarding' and there is a scale of compensation depending on how long you get delayed as a result.

If you stand in the check-in area of a US airport long enough you'll hear an airline desk announce that they are overbooked on a specific upcoming flight and they need a given number of people to voluntarily give up their reservations and agree to travel on a later flight. There then follows a public auction during which the airline will offer more and more goodies (upgrades, vouchers for free flights etc.) until enough people come forward to accept being bumped to a later flight.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Denied_Boarding/Default.208.html
    http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=125&pagetype=90&pageid=6480

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

How often does that happen on flights operating out of Ireland? There's not much point talking about airlines in the US when the OP is talking about Bus Eireann :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

markpb wrote: »
    How often does that happen on flights operating out of Ireland? There's not much point talking about airlines in the US when the OP is talking about Bus Eireann :D

It does happen in Ireland, that's why it's covered by an item on the website of the Commission for Aviation Regulation. It also happens in the UK and is covered in the website of the UK CAA as you'd have seen if you followed the links I posted above.

How often it happens I don't know because nobody published statistics.

My point is that your claim that 'Airlines cannot sell your seat if you don't show up' is incorrect, they can even sell your seat if you do turn up, it happens all over the world.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    All airlines overbook to cover 'no shows' so there is no such thing as a guaranteed seat. Even with a confirmed reservation you can be 'denied boarding' and there is a scale of compensation depending on how long you get delayed as a result.

Overbooking is extremely uncommon in Europe. Most of the budget airlines do not do it at all, in fact.

It completely screws with the yield management pricing structure that all the budget and many of the "non"-budget airlines do these days, and with low numbers of rotations a day on some routes it has the risk of being painfully costly to the airline.

edit: if an airline lets you book a specified seat number before check-in the flight is not going to be overbooked. They may sell a no-show at the terminal, but not in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I bought my regular Newbridge - Dublin ten journey earlier this year. Then my wife went into labour on the same day so I ended up not using the ticket. Send them a letter with the ticket outlining my bank details. Got a refund about 10 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Thanks for the advice. Sent them an email and will see what happens.

Was meant to buy an online ticket for 8-Jan-2013 and ended up buying a ticket for 8-Feb-2013.

That's plain wrong station ticket offices can do nothing about slipped finger mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

beazee wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Sent them an email and will see what happens.

Was meant to buy an online ticket for 8-Jan-2013 and ended up buying a ticket for 8-Feb-2013.

That's plain wrong station ticket offices can do nothing about slipped finger mistakes.

I had to that once, they got back to me fairly quickly (e-mail) and refunded it, but there is an admin charge of €5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Niles wrote: »
    but there is an admin charge of €5.

From the email I've got of them:
    Please can you send (or email) the replacement ticket used to travel to the address below. We can use the replacement ticket as documentary evidence to waive the €5 cancellation fee, when refunding your original online order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 elaineybop

Hi guys I was just wondering what is the bus éireann email address for refund requests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 luchi

HI guys can anyone help me out on how to go about my ticket refund, where can I send my claims to

Advertisement