Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a 3/32" chain whip work to remove 1/8" fixed sprockets?

Options
  • 03-10-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying this tool from CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55927
    I emailed them to see what size chain was fitted to the chain whip part and their reply was:
    We have had had a look into this and found that the X-Tools Pro 5 in 1 Wrench will come with a standard 3/32" style chain attached, this is so it would work on a Single Speed Sprocket and 8/9/10 speed Cassette
    However my current 9/10 speed chain whip with 3/32" chain doesn't seem to work on my cog on the fixie. What is the story, should it work, or has someone got something wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

3/32 chainwhip wont work on a 1/8 chain, if you cant find a 1/8" chainwhip you can just switch the chain on the tool itself, Im using a modified chainwhip myself, all the dublin shops were out of stock at the time I needed one so had to improvise.

If you plan on using it alot its worth buying a higher end tool made with thick forged steel, my last tool went out of shape quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

You can use the Rotafix method to install or remove a fixed cog. I fixed an old 1/8" chain to my Pedro's Fixie Tool to act as a chain whip (already have a 3/32" whip for MTB use) but the Rotafix method works much better as you can generate far more torque - and you don't need to carry any extra tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

just googled that rotafix method! Handy out alright. Heres a vid i found that shows it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIVEpyelP0

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have only ever used Rotafix on my (three) fixed gear bikes, it works great. Put a cloth around the BB.

Advertisement