Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization V

Options
  • 02-10-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello all.

I recently purchased Civ 5 for my laptop & am having some trouble.

After about 1 hour (sometimes less) of game play, my laptop will freeze & force a close on my current session. This gets very annoying if you are like me and rarely save games before its too late.

My laptop specs are as follows:
    Sony Vaio Z series
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5 CPU M460 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz
    4 GB of RAM
    64-bit OS
    HD Graphics Card
    HD Screen

All fairly high spec & more then double for the game requirements.

I know Sony have had problems with their hardware over heating before and mine can become quite hot when using it for game play.
    Would this be enough to shut down a game almost every time?
    Would a cooling fan solve this?

Any advise on this would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Nero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I have no such problems with the games, but i've read on the internet that some have a lot of late-game crashes. is that the case for you or do problems also occuring early in the game?

Are you getting any sort of error message if you look at your event log?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Forgive me if I'm being patronising, but you're fully patched and up to date right? Steam has downloaded all the updates?

Apart from that, autosave every turn and think about the surface your laptop is on. If you're worried about cooling, try raising it up so the fan has extra space to vent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Forgive me if I'm being patronising, but you're fully patched and up to date right? Steam has downloaded all the updates?

Is there a way to check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 El Nero

Hi, yes I am 100% up to date. I update through stram when I installed it.

I will set up autosave every turn that's a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

I normally play this in bed and fellow bloggers have told me that's a bad idea, the sheets block the vent & Sony is already synonymous with over heating. I will play in at my desk from now on I think.

Thanks for the help guys!

Advertisement