Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BarCraft Dublin! IPL3 October 9th, 3pm till ?

Options
  • 02-10-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Okay people so the inaugural BarCraft in Ireland has been given the go ahead by a bar in Stillorgan for the last day of IPL3 this coming Sunday. The details haven't been completely sorted as of yet but I was talking to the manager and he was pretty receptive to the idea, I'm meeting him again this Wednesday to finalize the details.

The location: McGowan's in Stillorgan, it's a pretty nice bar, plenty of space, nice drinks and they do good reasonably priced food too and most importantly they're letting us give this a go so bring your drinking and eating caps please !

Time: October 9th, 3pm until TBA. The end time is likely to be some time around midnight but the pub has a late license so I'll try convince them to say open later than normal for a Sunday but we'll see.

How to get here: The best way is to get the 46a/145 bus South from the city center and it's about 20 minutes away and the pub is about a minute's walk away. I think at this time on a Sunday the 46a will go through Stillorgan and you can get off at the shopping center but if you get a 145 you'll need to get off on the N11 and walk up but it's still only about 2 minutes away.

What I could use help with:
    People willing to help with the setup, my technical skills aren't top-notch. I can probably do most of the work but someone with a real clue would be most awesome.

One or two people willing to use their laptop to stream, I'll be bringing mine as one but if there's gonna be decent numbers we'll need multiple for multiple TVs.

HDMI cables of a fairly decent length(a few feet since the TVs are up on the walls), I currently have none so if people were willing to bring a couple that'd be great. Worst case scenario I'll pick one up before the event but I'd rather not have to invest in it :P

Please message me if you think you can be of help. Likewise, if anyone has any questions or things I may have forgotten that I should bring up with the manager post here or message me!

Finally, please post below/vote if you're interested in going, it'd be handy to have a gauge of what kind of numbers will be turning up before I go back in to finalize the details.

Are you gonna go? 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    81% 13 votes
    What the hell is this?
    18% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

If people with reddit accounts could upvote these too it would be great!

This and this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm gonna say yes, but i'll be in waterford the night before for that gaming thingy, i'll stop off in stillorgan on the way home, won't be drinking though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭saini

I might show up for a bit depending time I get back into Dublin and last train to Newry since im in work on the monday and gotta make it home by Sunday night.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I could help out a bit, I just spent a week working at a physics conference where I had to hook up every type of laptop you could think of to a projector so I should be able to troubleshoot most problems lol.

I have 2 HDMI cables as well but I dunno are they long enough. I think they're only 1.8m ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Secludus

Totally in and i will drag a few others with me. I have also PM'd you funky offering any help you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

As I said on TL, I'm actually busy that evening, but will try to show up in the afternoon for at least a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I'll be there, and probably with at least three other people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

I'll be there, I'd be more than happy to help with setup. I've not done this kind of thing specifically but I've worked on sound teams and with multiscreen setups, how hard can it it be? When would you want us helpers around?

Have you checked the inputs on the TVs and the outputs from your laptop? Anyone bringing a laptop to stream, please let us know what outputs you have!

I'll get in touch with a couple of friends too, see if they want to come. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Damn would love to head to something like this,best of luck with it anyway :-)

deconduo wrote: »
    I could help out a bit, I just spent a week working at a physics conference where I had to hook up every type of laptop you could think of to a projector so I should be able to troubleshoot most problems lol.

I have 2 HDMI cables as well but I dunno are they long enough. I think they're only 1.8m ones.

Yea that sounds good man, I'm sure it's pretty simple hooking them up to the TVs in there but I'd like to have someone knowledgeable there since I'm not really too experienced with that stuff and I don't want unnecessary technical issues popping up on the day :P

I think those HDMI cables would do the trick too if you wouldn't mind bringing em along. I'll measure how long they'll have to be on Wednesday but with the TVs on the walls I think we could just put the laptop on a table below and those would reach from there.

Cheers for the offer freepower, hopefully if deconduo can make it he'll be able to make sure I'm not screwing things up but you're welcome to come down early. I was thinking around 1pm just to get things set up in advance of the 3pm kick-off.

I'll have a full update on the dealio this Wednesday evening but things are looking good !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well with w7 laptops and tv's using hdmi it's just a matter of connecting the hdmi cabe, right clicking the desktop and selecting screen resolution and then you choose whether to extend/duplicat/whatever the desktop onto the new screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

He knows from experience!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

How did this go guys? I'm a big SC2 fan, and pretty close to Stillorgan, so would definitely be up for a future Barcraft

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Oh! It hasn't even been on yet... haha, sweet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm currently a Maybe, leaning towards Yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I can think of worse places to be this sunday. Ill be there work allowing.

Do we need to bring signs? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Would love to go to this, shame it clashes with the tournie in Waterford (well kinda). Best of luck! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Myself and 2 friends will be there. Thanks for putting it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lightness

might be there with a friend :)

Just a quick update, I was in today and couldn't get net access through their wireless to check the speed of their internet (since the manager didn't know :)))) but somehow I think the problem must be on my end so I'll be going back in tomorrow to troubleshoot it a bit.

I'm doing my best to make sure this is still gonna happen but just a word of warning, if you're travelling from outside of Dublin don't book any tickets or anything yet incase it falls apart !

• Advertisement

Another update: Just back from the bar now, there was a different manager in today who knew a bit more. Apparently their net is broken at the moment and he's only just back from holidays so is in the process of getting it fixed. I'm to call him tomorrow about it and he'll know exactly what the deal is for Sunday. So fingers crossed it'll be fixed up for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Funky wrote: »
    Another update: Just back from the bar now, there was a different manager in today who knew a bit more. Apparently their net is broken at the moment and he's only just back from holidays so is in the process of getting it fixed. I'm to call him tomorrow about it and he'll know exactly what the deal is for Sunday. So fingers crossed it'll be fixed up for the event.

Cool keep us updated

If it's anything like my experiences with trying to get internet sorted, I doubt we'll get barcraft before February. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adeanlol

Jesus This sounds badass, should've gotten ID as soon as I hit 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭saini

Adeanlol wrote: »
    Jesus This sounds badass, should've gotten ID as soon as I hit 18

Do you not have a passport?

The pub's router is fixed, so all's good for BarCraft. The location inside isn't set yet so if you don't see us on the ground floor it's on upstairs(to the left when you go in the door).

Cyas Sunday!

edit: and it'll be finishing some time around midnight at closing time

Sweet! See you guys there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Its great to see this going through. Love to go myself, but you know, don't live in dublin. Will certainly try to make another one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Best of luck with the event, I was planning on going, but something came up in Galway on Friday night and couldn't make it up to Dublin for the weekend, and I missed the bus this evening so couldn't get up in time.

Enjoy the day, and hopefully might see some of you at the Cork event!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Let's just say i'm not really in any condition to attend this event, the G4X night took it's toll. must sleep some, might still pop down later this evening.

Advertisement