Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 string guitar question, please help!

Options
  • 02-10-2011 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I have recently bought a right-handed Encore 12 string acoustic guitar for absolutely dirt cheap. Although I'm left-handed, I just couldn't ignore the bargain! The guitar itself has a slightly slanted bridge And the cut-aways in the nut favour right-handed stringing, but my main concern is the slanted bridge. Also, the pegs on the bridge could be a problem! (please look up an image of a 12 string guitar and you might see what I mean). Can anyone give me feedback on what I could do to transform it into a left-handed guitar? And if that bridge will have an effect at all? (I don't mind the scratch plate being upside down, I'll play it like Macca did)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I think you'll have to get the nut removed and flipped the other way around otherwise you'll end up with problems on the lower strings, especially if you put .12s on it.

Not sure what you mean about the bridge pegs being a problem? You might need to flip the bridge around because those small grooves to align the strings will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Dont just turn the current bridge and nut upside down, as their is a specific slant on them that will be changed if their position is inversed.

Instead, remove them and replace them with a nut and bridge for a left handed twelve string, which you could find for about four or five euro max on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Adam.McCarthy

I think you'll have to get the nut removed and flipped the other way around otherwise you'll end up with problems on the lower strings, especially if you put .12s on it.

Not sure what you mean about the bridge pegs being a problem? You might need to flip the bridge around because those small grooves to align the strings will be important.

Regarding the bridge pegs, you know the way on a 12 string there's 6 pegs further back on the bridge? Well, looking straight on at the guitar, the furthest peg to the left on the bridge is one of the back pegs, whereas the furthest peg to the right on the bridge is one of the front pegs, I'm just wondering if that could be a problem!

Also, does it matter what order a string, for example the A string, and it's respective octave string are put on? I'm new to the world of 12 strings! Thanks for the advice so far people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Adam.McCarthy

Dont just turn the current bridge and nut upside down, as their is a specific slant on them that will be changed if their position is inversed.

Instead, remove them and replace them with a nut and bridge for a left handed twelve string, which you could find for about four or five euro max on the net.

Good call! I know I won't be able to do it with the bridge, but it would be ok to just flip the nut, right? Thanks for the help so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭balducci

Hi Adam,

The pegs aren't your main issue with the bridge. The reason the bridge itself slants backwards is to compensate for the strings getting thicker/heavier. this extra distance for the lower strings allows for accurate intonation. your bridge will be slanted the wrong way so your guitars intonation will be all over the place. ever wonder why, after tuning a guitar one chord sounds in tune and another sounds out of tune? Intonation. very important. you'll have to get your bridge replaced, which, on a relatively cheap 12 string, will be costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Yeah. Have to agree with balducci. Didn't think of the pegs.

See if you can swap it for a leftie on adverts. The second hand value of twelve strings is the worst of all musical instruments, so I would guess that anyone trying to shift a leftie would take a rightie in a heartbeat as trade, as it would be much easier to sell a rightie.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Instruments.

Advertisement