Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card Application Issues

Options
  • 02-10-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey I bank with Bank of Ireland. I have a current account with a balance of about €12 :D I used to put all of my money into the bank but found it a pain to have to go to an ATM when I needed money. I applied for a laser card this time last year but was refused without reason. If I had a laser card I would put all of my income into my current account as I would be more free to use my money instead of having to find an ATM which half of the time they say "out of order". I will be starting with FAS in 2 weeks and will be getting paid into my current account so I really want a laser card now. Is there any other bank that I can go to that will give me a laser when I open a current account or is there anything I can do with Bank of Ireland to get them to give me one? I do not have an overdraft on my account so its not as if I can spend money I don't have :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Laser is being replaced with Visa Debit cards. I'm with TSB and they changed my card from Laser to VD about a year ago, it's automatically part of your ATM card, no need to ask for it. BoI are just very slow to role this out. Laser is to be phased out by the end of the year with all banks

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Opened a new account two months ago with Ulster Bank after previously being with bank of Ireland. Would definitely recommend the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

Laser is being replaced with Visa Debit cards. I'm with TSB and they changed my card from Laser to VD about a year ago, it's automatically part of your ATM card, no need to ask for it. BoI are just very slow to role this out. Laser is to be phased out by the end of the year with all banks

So if I go into TSB tomorrow and want to open a current account will they give me a debit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Opened a new account two months ago with Ulster Bank after previously being with bank of Ireland. Would definitely recommend the move

Same here. Never gonna look back from Ulster Bank. You get a Visa Debit card without questions and there's no more queueing for fifteen minutes to make a lodgement!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Some people are confusing the issue.

The OP was refused a laser card by BOI and just give an atm card. There could be any number of reasons for this - possibly you're just out of school, or they couldn't see any regular income stream or other credit scoring reason.

You may now pass their criteria - so check and see. Otherwise, I'd recommend Ulster Bank or PTSB - but again, they will check to see if you are suitable for a debit card.

Another option is the O2 money card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

maxer68 wrote: »
    Some people are confusing the issue.

The OP was refused a laser card by BOI and just give an atm card. There could be any number of reasons for this - possibly you're just out of school, or they couldn't see any regular income stream or other credit scoring reason.

You may now pass their criteria - so check and see. Otherwise, I'd recommend Ulster Bank or PTSB - but again, they will check to see if you are suitable for a debit card.

Another option is the O2 money card?

I'm 21 and just about to start with FAS, I had a full time job but never got paid into my current account. I did used to lodge all of my money into my current account but as I said I didn't like the inconvenience of having to rely on finding an ATM :confused: I will be getting paid by FAS into my current account and this is why I wish to have a debit card. Thanks for all the help by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Once you are getting paid into your bank account there should be no problem. - There are ways / times a laser tranaction can go through without funds being in the account. (sorry, not telling you :))

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement