Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering deleted data

Options
  • 02-10-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

OK, this is probably a long shot, but I might as well try anyway. Basically I lost a memory stick with all my photos on it from the past 6 years or so on it, (I'm pretty sure I left it in college one day and I only realised over the summer so asked when I got back there a few weeks ago and they said for data protection they destroy them all). I had them saved at one point on my current computer but as it's only a notebook I figured it would speed up the computer if I relieved the space on the computer so I deleted them. I have heard rumours before than nothing is really ever completely deleted, so would there be any chance of retrieving them from this computer? Please, I really want all my photos back...:(

Note: My IT skills are limited enough, I could do a decent attempt at something but I'm not particualy advanced on matters of the computing world!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Firblog

first of all switch of your notebook and keep it off. The more you use it the less chance there is of recovering anything.
    Using a different pc download Hirens boot cd and burn it to cd. Put it into your notebook drive and boot with it. Use the various utilities on there to try to recover the pics. Recovery -> Getdataback NTFS is fairly good for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭cmegzc

thanks, but is there any other way? I don't have a cd drive...and it was ages ago that I deleted the stuff, is there any shops that would try to recover my stuff without too much cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Try running Get Data Back It scans drive. Follow instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

cmegzc wrote: »
    and it was ages ago that I deleted the stuff

when you delete stuff it isnt actualy deleted it just flags up parts of your hard drive for new data to be added to.So it will get over written with new data as you install stuff etc.good chance its too late

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

DO NOT RUN ANY RECOVERY PROGRAM ON THE LAPTOP WHATSOEVER

I dont use caps much, if at all, but this is important. As someone else aluded to, you need to mount the HD on another computer, otherwise your chances of recovery will diminish very quickly. If a lot of data has been written to the drive since the photos were delete, you chances are slim of recovery as the photo data will have been overwritten.

GetDataback for NTFS is good
    rstudio is another good one

• Advertisement
Advertisement