Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would I be entitled to? HELP PLEASE... LONG THREAD

Options
  • 01-10-2011 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

Im looking for some advice. My partner is currently working full time and his contract finishes the end of January. We are currently living in the UK but both from Ireland. I'm not working, I am due my second baby next month, I mind our 18 month old and trying to do a home study course. My partner is going to do an intense course starting in Feb. He will be away for at least 12 months. He needs to do this course to get another job but he will not be paid (although his food and accommodation will be included)

So I would be living on my own with my 2 children (although we are still together) He would not have an income to help pay and its probable that his course will be held in the states. I really want to work so I will be looking for jobs immediately once my baby is 4-5 months. I am thinking of moving near my home place in Dublin but I would not be able to move in with my parents, and both my parents work full time so I dont have any free babysitters :(

What would I be entitled to?
    Rent allowance?
    How much is lone parent allowance for 2 kids? Would I be entitled to that given the above situation... Technically I am ALONE :(
    Is there any help out there for childcare? If it wasn't for the babies it would be ok but When I add up rent and childcare, I wouldn't have enough money for food from my salary....

My partner truly has no other option but to do this course, Of course he wont just leave and let me do everything, We need to ensure that I can move home and hopefully work and provide for my kids.

Please only replies on what I may be entitled to and how or where do I start. I cant really speak to a Social Welfare Officer because Im still living in the UK and wont be moving back till Jan and I would move ANYWHERE it doesn't have to be Dublin.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :) Sorry its so long

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Laurel____ wrote: »
    Hello

Im looking for some advice. My partner is currently working full time and his contract finishes the end of January. We are currently living in the UK but both from Ireland. I'm not working, I am due my second baby next month, I mind our 18 month old and trying to do a home study course. My partner is going to do an intense course starting in Feb. He will be away for at least 12 months. He needs to do this course to get another job but he will not be paid (although his food and accommodation will be included)

So I would be living on my own with my 2 children (although we are still together) He would not have an income to help pay and its probable that his course will be held in the states. I really want to work so I will be looking for jobs immediately once my baby is 4-5 months. I am thinking of moving near my home place in Dublin but I would not be able to move in with my parents, and both my parents work full time so I dont have any free babysitters :(

What would I be entitled to?
    Rent allowance?
    How much is lone parent allowance for 2 kids? Would I be entitled to that given the above situation... Technically I am ALONE :(
    Is there any help out there for childcare? If it wasn't for the babies it would be ok but When I add up rent and childcare, I wouldn't have enough money for food from my salary....

My partner truly has no other option but to do this course, Of course he wont just leave and let me do everything, We need to ensure that I can move home and hopefully work and provide for my kids.

Please only replies on what I may be entitled to and how or where do I start. I cant really speak to a Social Welfare Officer because Im still living in the UK and wont be moving back till Jan and I would move ANYWHERE it doesn't have to be Dublin.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :) Sorry its so long

I can answer your question about one parent family benefit... you will not be entitled to this as you are not separated from you husband/partner only geographically.

You could apply for jobseekers allowance but you would have to be actively seeking work.. and if you are out of Ireland >6months you will also have to fill out the habitual residence form and have to be deemed habitually resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Habitual residence will be a big deal. I doubt you'll qualify for unemployment benefit or rent supplement if you spent more than 2 years in the UK.

You won't qualify for Jobseekers allowance as you do not intend to work until your baby is 4-5 months old.

Also *technically*, you're not alone. I doubt you'll be able to prove your partner living in another country has no income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

as eastbono and tenchi have already stated, not much chance of you getting any sw here. your not a lone pernt and anyway you wont fulfill the habitual residence condition if youve been out of ireland for more than 2 years.I would make alternative plans if i were you.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    as eastbono and tenchi have already stated, not much chance of you getting any sw here. your not a lone pernt and anyway you wont fulfill the habitual residence condition if youve been out of ireland for more than 2 years.I would make alternative plans if i were you.:cool:

With regard to the habitual residence condition its not necessarily true that she will not fulfill the requirement if she has been out of the country >2 years. Each case is taken on an individual basis as no two cases are the same for returning emigrants.

Advertisement