Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having problems opening bank acc.

Options
  • 01-10-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I seem to be having trouble trying to open a bank acc., basically my story is I lost my job about 4 years ago and B.O.I. closed my account because I could'nt pay off my credit card at the time, I'm in college now and I have made arrangments with all my debters, I have applied on-line to various banks and I have heard nothing, just wondering if banks have a right to refuse me and if they do what are my options, I use my credit union at the moment but they don't offer laser card and all the transfers always takes longer, if anyone could give me advice I would be delighted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Have you actually walked into a bank and asked to open a bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

They are under no obligation to open an account for you.

Best to ring them and they'll be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

What way cant you open the account ? is it you dont have proof of address or what reasons have they given

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Haven't tried to walk into a branch yet, I wan't to know some rights b4 I go in in case they say no, I felt crap and humillated enough over the last 4 years thank you very much, I'm guessing from your reply that you don't have much expierance of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    What way cant you open the account ? is it you dont have proof of address or what reasons have they given

I have proof, I'm irish and I have got no response from anyone, I guess it's because I've bad credit, but I'm not looking for a loan or anything I just want a cuurent acc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Haven't tried to walk into a branch yet, I wan't to know some rights b4 I go in in case they say no, I felt crap and humillated enough over the last 4 years thank you very much, I'm guessing from your reply that you don't have much expierance of this

I think he might have more experience of the procedure than you do.

You're getting no response because you can't open an account over the internet, money laundering legislation says that you must present identification to the institution before they will open an account so the feet have to hit the street.

Walking into a branch is your only option. Bring a passport or driving licence and two recent utility bills with your name and address on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

coylemj wrote: »
    I think he might have more experience of the procedure than you do.

You're getting no response because you can't open an account over the internet, money laundering legislation says that you must present identification to the institution before they will open an account so the feet have to hit the street.

Walking into a branch is your only option. Bring a passport or driving licence and two recent utility bills with your name and address on them.
    I opened an ulster bank account without ever walking into a branch or picking up the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

From my experience that's exactly what I done!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

What you're looking for is a Deposit Account.

It's basically an account with restricions like no overdraft (usually) and no cheque book. But you do get an ATM card.

They're easier to open.

If they won't give you one of those then try for a savings account with a card. Some banks do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Oh, and yeah walk in to a branch (your local).

Bring:
    1. Passport or driving licence
    2. Two forms of address ID (bills like ESB, gas etc)
    3. Proof of your PPS number. Don't got one? Ring tax office and ask for a P21 (it's free).

• Advertisement
Advertisement