Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus Diesel

Options
  • 01-10-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am thinking of purchasing a ford focus 2007 Diesel. Has anyone experience of these cars ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Turbos are sensitive on the 1.6s if they are not serviced regularly using the 5w30 fully synthetic oil. The 1.8s are cnuts for duel mass flywheels. Other than that they give little trouble. An odd time the abs valve block packs in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have the '06 Focus CMax 1.8 TDCI ZETEC 115 PS (just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it).
    Bought it with 130 k km on the clock, now approaching 200k km, had services and tyres, other than that no trouble whatsoever.
    Before that I had the 1.8 lump in a 99 Focus, a '04 Focus Van and a Transit Connect.
    Between them must have done approaching half a mill km.
    The biggest trouble I ever had with them?
    Last week a short in the heater plug wiring sent my car into limp mode.
    Repaired the wiring myself, all back to form again.
    Dunno about the 1.6 lump, but if you're not getting cheaper tax (pre 08 car), you'd be barking not to consider the 1.8.
    It's a bit rattly, but on the move it's fine, it's a tough motor and will go forever.

edit:
    And it does 50+ mpg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

AVOID the 1.6 tdci..........whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

MidlandsM wrote: »
    AVOID the 1.6 tdci..........whatever you do.

A looked after 1.6 will be fine. But in this country that's a big ask.

Is there a solid flywheel conversion available for the 1.8?

EPM wrote: »
    A looked after 1.6 will be fine. But in this country that's a big ask.

Is there a solid flywheel conversion available for the 1.8?

Never had a single issue, I'd say leave well alone unless there's actually something going wrong. Then it might be worth considering.
    +1 on looking after cars, 90% of people don't care, don't want to know and think the service interval recommended by the dealer is a scam, so they don't service their car. Then, eventually, something blows up and they scream blue murder how they where done, sold a lemon, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

Was told today when buying a diesel focus stick with the 1.8 as this has a ford engine, the 1.6 has a Peugeot engine. Am going looking at at a 1.8 tdci this weekend am told it will do 60 mpg. Any advice before i look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Was told today when buying a diesel focus stick with the 1.8 as this has a ford engine, the 1.6 has a Peugeot engine. Am going looking at at a 1.8 tdci this weekend am told it will do 60 mpg. Any advice before i look at it
    Just because its a Peugeot dosen't mean its crap, Ford and Peugeot developed it. Its one of the best small diesels around. A lot of cars are using this engine. As for the 1.8, make sure the flywheel is not hanging out of it.

Service history would be nice, "modren" diesels don't like to be neglected. Since the turbo runs on the engine oil, if that is not changed on the button, it can cause damage.
    When accelerating from 2000 to 3000 rpm, listen out for a whoop coming from the turbo, it shouldn't do that, though some seem to be doing this (including mine) and just keep on going. But a turbo crapping itself can cost a grand or two. (depending on who does it, is it a recon or new turbo, etc...)
    Have a look at the alloys, if you can jack up the car and spin the wheels by hand, they should be round, 50p shaped is not good. That may be more the case if the car has been beaned down country lanes.
    Have a look under the front lip of the car, the intercooler, oil cooler and more are just there, they don't like being walloped.
    And of course the usual, mayonnaise in the oil and coolant vessel tanks caps and the dipstick, does the car look cared for, etc..
    When I bought mine, a wheel bearing was whining, the garage replaced it and it's been grand since.
    And, if you can or want, bring a fault code reader and see if any major faults with the engine where logged.

And check this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056198864

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

Thanks for the posts. There is only 66,000 miles up on it for 11,150.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

only first in 1-3 years was tdci's problematic(turbos and especialy injectors) 2005 onwards are definetely OK. 1,6 is very good one but its better have 1,8 becouse of weight of the car. Doesnt matter if its peugeot or ford engine.. as Plug wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭steve french

had a 1.6 tdci with 105000 miles when i got rid of it and never had a bit of trouble apart from usual wear and tear stuff. if you can find a 110bhp one i'd say go for that instead of the 90bhp one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

afaik from 09 onwards ford only use the 1.6 tdci engine.
    The 1.8tdci seems to have been side tracked.
    Maybe due to tighter emission controls..:confused:

As above the 1.6 tdci/Hdi engines are a great engine for there size but need
    regular servicing and correct oil used to maintain a long life...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

Let’s get real here though. You looking for reassurance as am I. Ford or Peugeot don't produce 500,000 + ++++ cars that might completely fail if they don't "get fully synthetic oil on the "fly wheel" at 10,000 like Jemmy down the garge sisters boyfriends car gets be jesus, sucking diesel and all the rest. It's a ford focus, bestselling car for heavens sake. If you can't get reassurance yourself without asking here I don't know who can.

Innit

Advertisement