Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet banking my eye

Options
  • 01-10-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

At around 4 pm I locked myself out of my internet banking account with Bank of Ireland. They only give you two tries and that's it.
    The absurd and ridiculous thing about it is that they have no-one there until Monday morning to unblock the account.
    I have someone, away, who is running out of money and I can't get it to them til monday morning. I've havent lock myself out in years, the someone away is a student who has spent more that expected.
    Rang AIB and they have someone available had I blocked the AIB account, but cant use them anyway because it might be tue or wed before the money lands.
    I just find it illogical that BOI expect people not to make typos over the weekend!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If it is that urgent try Western Union, it's expensive but the person will be able to get their hands on the cash within hours.

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    At around 4 pm I locked myself out of my internet banking account with Bank of Ireland. They only give you two tries and that's it.
    The absurd and ridiculous thing about it is that they have no-one there until Monday morning to unblock the account.
    I have someone, away, who is running out of money and I can't get it to them til monday morning. I've havent lock myself out in years, the someone away is a student who has spent more that expected.
    Rang AIB and they have someone available had I blocked the AIB account, but cant use them anyway because it might be tue or wed before the money lands.
    I just find it illogical that BOI expect people not to make typos over the weekend!!

BOI internet banking is a joke. You need a phone call and a letter just to set up a payee. I have AIB and their internet banking is the only reason I'd reccommend them as a bank.

OH has BOI, I send him money, it may arrive withing a week. Same with sending money to Paypal, its easier for him to send it to me, then I send it to paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The block on your online account is for security, you may be glad of it in a different situation.

Also i believe they will need to send you a new pin number in the post, so it wouldnt really matter if there was anyone to take your call or not today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You need a phone call and a letter just to set up a payee.

No you dont!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The block on your online account is for security, you may be glad of it in a different situation.

Also i believe they will need to send you a new pin number in the post, so it wouldnt really matter if there was anyone to take your call or not today.

they block your account if you get your pin wrong twice.
    then you have to ring them and give the pin, well, 3 digits and it's unlocked there and then.

I was told they do they do that so that they won't have to post out a new pin if you get it wrong 3 times.

I don't get it myself, but thats how it works.

• Advertisement

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    No you dont!

Thats what my other half had to do 18 months ago. I set him up in 20 mins with my code card. ROI to ROI personal transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

Thats what my other half had to do 18 months ago. I set him up in 20 mins with my code card. ROI to ROI personal transfer.
    Not the case now , you can register a beneficiary and receive an activation code to your mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

BOI internet banking is a joke. You need a phone call and a letter just to set up a payee. I have AIB and their internet banking is the only reason I'd reccommend them as a bank.

OH has BOI, I send him money, it may arrive withing a week. Same with sending money to Paypal, its easier for him to send it to me, then I send it to paypal.

its not really a joke

internet banking is a serious thing.

millions of people are hacking into accounts around the world all the time..

I got an account with another bank i wont name and its just as stringent, even more so than boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

BOI internet banking is a joke. You need a phone call and a letter just to set up a payee.

Thankfully that's no longer the case. You can now receive the activation code by text message. I literally had a transfer set up in 3 minutes a few days ago. Big improvement over the earlier process.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

DeRanged, I hope what you say is correct.
    I don't have an issue with their security procedures, it just seems that they are incomplete because they dont take into account my scenario.
    In effect I (or anyone else locked out) don't have access to internet banking from Sat afternoon to Monday morning. And I do realize that perhaps, unlike other systems, it isn't safe to send you a new password to your email. Pity they don't have a button on the bottom of the page "unblock for another 2 goes" and then the rider "if you mess this up you are really in the sh$t"
    Here goes monday morning. WEstern union is a good one too.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    DeRanged, I hope what you say is correct.

it was about 6 months ago when I did it :)

when you ring they'll ask for 3 digits of the pin, then they'll enter them into the system. if they're all correct, it'll unlock instantly and you'll be able to log instantly and work away. so make sure you're all set and ready for that - you don't want to get them wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bold_defender

Just had same issue, although I was wondering is the something else wrong as I don't think I typed it wrong, but then you don't pay attention the first couple of times. Haven't locked my self out in years though.

Came on here to see was there issue with the site.

Deranged, it was as you said.
    I spent more time navigating the answering service to get to a Human Being than it took for that human being to unblock the pin.
    Logged on immediately and transerred money. So we are all happy.

Re last poster, I know I keyed in the incorrect password the first time, but I was carefull the second time round and it still locked me out.
    These things happen, who knows how or why; we must have faith in our software gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

How many attempts do you think a hacker should have to get into your account?
    3 wrong attempts and then lock is normal across the universe.

The reason I started this thread was not about the amount of times I have available to incorrectly enter the pin before I get blocked. It could be once for all I care.:D
    The reason was because I couldn't get in contact with anyone to unblock it and therefore I had no internet access at all . That was what my moan was about.

Yeah thats true, a weekday support service is not worth much.

Advertisement