Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage advice...

Options
  • 01-10-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Ok guys,
    I'm getting married in Zaporzhye Ukraine in late December. Ihave been to Ukraine a few times, but never this city, and have never met her family!

What advice can you give me on customs for this? What is expected of/from me. Firstly meeting her family, and secondly the wedding.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭survivor2

Hi ,there! Zaporozhye is a big city.

Bring a bottle of Champain or good liquor,chocolate sweets with you.
    They will be happy to get some gifts from you.

I think it will be nice if you will tell them a few phrases in Russian.

It's gonna be OK! Do not be too shy!

There are a few advices I've found from Russian web segment
    Google translated (sorry for mistakes)
    General rules.

1. It is necessary to know in advance the names of parents of your girl. Not recommended at once to rush to their necks, shouting, "MOM! Daddy!''-This can make them at least discouraged!

2. Do not call your loved one in the presence of his parents' my / mine .... For parents she has them, not yours!

3. Do not lie. And in general: the less you talk, the better. Over listen to and shake your head.

4. Pay attention to the relationship between mothers and fathers of your prospective bride. A similar model of the family awaits you!

5. As long as your chosen one will not be in the room, tell the parents thank you for such a wonderful girl, whom they raised.

6. Ask your loved one does not leave you alone for a long time with their parents.

7. Ask to see her baby pictures. Parents will understand that you want to know about your bride everything, including the time you were not with her.

8. Do not sit up late, but not in a hurry to leave.

9. In parting, thanks for the evening and tell me what led him just fine (even if it is not true, is not forbidden to invent), and would be happy to have spent time in their company yet.

Advice to young people.

1. You should not come in a suit and white shirt! You still do not go to the registrar. Wear simple. But do not get carried away and - torn jeans in adults is often associated with failure.

2. In order not to cause jealousy in the girl's father minimize hug her (etc., etc.) on the front of their parents. After all, you're up for her dad - someone else's man, who wants to steal from him his little girl! Note: his and not yours! However, hugged and kissed the girl on the cheek when meeting or parting, is not prohibited by!

Probably not a single parent who is the first time will say that 'this person is worthy of my girl'. But all in your hands to be an exception!

Good luck! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭czrewor

I'd say rather just be yourself, Ukraine families are not different to Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Estonian familes. All normal people. Its courteous in every culture when meeting the parents for the first time to bring traditional liquor from your home country, bring some of your country to theirs. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Alot of Irish men are afraid/nervous of cultures in the East Europe/Russian empires etc but do what I do to impress... laugh at silly jokes and smile and nod ;)

Advertisement