Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live

Options
  • 30-09-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I am finding out on Monday if I have got a job in Limerick City (hope it doesn't jinx it by posting here!) that would mean I would have to move on the weekend of the 11th of October.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice where to live.

How much is rent?
    I would live to live in really close to a gym so it isn't to far from where I live.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where's work, what's you mode of transport to work? How close or far to work/city centre do you want to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

What area of limerick is the job in roughly? Is it limerick city center? It would help recommending somewhere. Also do you have any form of transport?

Got there before me phog :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

As per previous posts, it would be easier to help if we knew which side of the city work is etc, sometimes it can be easier to drive 20 miles from the county side than have to try and get across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Newtolimerick

Hi

Its off O'connell street. Don't have my own car so have to rely on public transport/ walking to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

You could try www.limerickpost.ie for a digital copy of this local newspaper they often have a list of places to rent in them.

If you want you can pm me address & i can give you an idea of wherebouts they are in the city in relation to you job. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

First that nice Danish girl, and now this! All these new blow-ins coming to Limerick to steal our jobs!* :D:D

If you didn't want to live right in the city centre you could try somewhere like the South Circular road which would be 20 minutes or so walk probably but quieter than the city centre. Or you might like living in the city centre, there are some nice spots.

Hope ye get good news on Monday! And if ye're from Dublin, sure even better :D

*I'm just joking OP, sure I'm a Limk newbie myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

First that nice Danish girl, and now this! All these new blow-ins coming to Limerick to steal our jobs!* :D:D

If you didn't want to live right in the city centre you could try somewhere like the South Circular road which would be 20 minutes or so walk probably but quieter than the city centre. Or you might like living in the city centre, there are some nice spots.

Hope ye get good news on Monday! And if ye're from Dublin, sure even better :D

*I'm just joking OP, sure I'm a Limk newbie myself!

Just to pick up on this, won't be moving until after Xmas but have you, or anyone else, got recommendations for somewhere to rent near the bus station? (Within walking distance).

Will more than likely be getting a bus to work every morning so probably the closer the better but still would like to be living in a nice spot.

If your working in the city or sumwhere like Raheen or Castletroy the buses don't leave from the train station they leave from diff streets in town, so if you want to live near the bus stop, you'll prob need to live near O'Connell St (Raheen bus leaves from BT's) or William St (Castletroy bus).

So give us an rough idea where your job is going to be just & mite be able to help you or pm me if you'd prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

kiersm wrote: »
    If your working in the city or sumwhere like Raheen or Castletroy the buses don't leave from the train station they leave from diff streets in town, so if you want to live near the bus stop, you'll prob need to live near O'Connell St (Raheen bus leaves from BT's) or William St (Castletroy bus).

Sarsfield Street now!

kiersm wrote: »

So give us an rough idea where your job is going to be just & mite be able to help you or pm me if you'd prefer

Will be getting the Shannon bus so I presume my only option is to get it from the bus station itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

TheTownie wrote: »
    Will be getting the Shannon bus so I presume my only option is to get it from the bus station itself.

The Shannon bus also stops outside Dunnes Stores on Henry St. on its way to Shannon. It usually gets there 5/10 mins after it leaves the station.

You might be better off getting somewhere near there, as IMO some areas around the station aren't fantastic. There are apartment blocks on Henry St. (different area to Upper Henry St - again not fantastic, just so you're not confused), Thomas St. Bedford Row, O'Connell St, all that general area all in walking distance to Dunnes on Henry St.

Alternatively, the Shannon Bus also stops on the Ennis Road on it's way to Shannon (I know there is one stop opposite the Gaelic Grounds, there is another one I think further along the road, can't remember where!) so you could live there, though it is a bit of a walk into town from here.

Thanks for the info !

Been looking the last week or so around Bedford Row, Thomas St, Harvey's Quay, etc.

Is it completely unrealistic to expect those apartment blocks to have an internet package provided?

A decent package is important for me, so if this can not be achieved in an overall affordable way around that area of the city then I will have rethink my plan.

You never know until you ask I think you could be surprised

Your more likely to get that in a few of the apartment blocks around there.

Advertisement