Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new irish snooker season starts

Options
  • 30-09-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

The new snooker season starts tomorrow in the ivy rooms carlow,in a break from the past several seasons the tournaments are being moved around the country to places like letterkenny,limerick,celbridge and navan.
    So who's playing this season?what are your goals for the year?and do you think that moving the tournaments as a good idea?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Its the best news in a long time for Irish snooker and i feel it will kick start the amateur scene nationwide.
    For many years the tournaments were held in different clubs throughout Ireland, there was tournaments in Dublin, Wexford, Waterford, Cork, Tralee, Galway, Ballina, they started on a Friday eve and finished with the final on a Sunday afternoon.
    Huge entries with train loads of players travelling all over Ireland and making a weekend of it.

Then RIBSA decided to move the tournaments to the old Ivy Rooms in Carlow owned by RIBSA chairman Jim Lacey, from there they were moved to the fantastic new Ivy Rooms outside Carlow but by then amateur snooker in Ireland was a dying sport, yes we had some decent players most notably David Hogan who won the European title a few years back but the dye had been cast by then.
    Up to last season entries for events most notably the big one, the Irish Amateur were at an all time low.Club owners and players were asked what could be done, i personally spoke out against all the events been held in Carlow, i think Jim Lacey is one of the nicest guys you could meet but having every single event in the same venue was madness, and eventually Jim and RIBSA listened to the players and club owners and have reverted back to the old setup.
    So as far as moving the tournaments around again, yes as ive said its fantastic, local players now dont have to get up at all hours of the morning to travel to Carlow now that a ranking event is back at their local club.
    Going back to the clubs is going back to the grassroots of snooker, involve the young players and get everyone playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

i've played in the ranking tournaments for donkeys years,great competitions,great nights out,great times all round.
    i'm also glad that some of the tournaments are being moved around,the only thing i worry about is the standard of the tables in the clubs,we all know money is tight and owners dont have the cash to refurbish tables like they did before.hope a decent standard can be maintained table wise.
    bit sceptical about it having an effect on local players taking up playing in them,dont think we'll see many from letterkenny travelling to say limerick and vice versa but at least RIBSA are being proactive about the situation,should be an interesting season.

Advertisement