Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Binding of Isaac

Options
  • 30-09-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

ss57c7fb142d6b8f7d38ab6.jpg

This is a great little game from half of Team Meat (Ed McMillen). It's a procedurally generated rougelike (whatever the hell rougelike means) which has you roaming through randomly generated dungeons with no certainty that the next power-up will help or hinder you. There's also achievements for people who are in to that sort of thing, thankfully they seem to be a little more difficult (and a little more like achievements) than just taking your first step.

For only a fiver on Steam (€4.49 at the moment since there's a 10% discount) I'd recommend it.

---- Added May 28th ----

Wrath of the Lamb has just been released for €3 and the excellent base game is on sale for €2. No better time to get it!
    Steam wrote:
    About the Game
    The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb is the expansion to The Binding of Isaac, a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

Key Features:
    100+ new items! (now over 235 items!)
    5+ new chapters!
    20+ new enemies!
    25 new achievements!
    15+ new bosses!
    6+ new room types!
    6+ new mysterious item drops (eternal hearts, playing cards, dimes and more!)
    5+ new music tracks by Danny B
    A new item type, Trinkets
    A new challenge mode with 10 unique challenges that unlock more content
    A new unlockable character, Samson (The Beserker)
    A new final (final) chapter and boss with new endings
    Tons of new random happenings, curses, blessings, npcs, fortune tellers and more!
    Also more super secrets than you'd probably expect... good luck finding them all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I'm finding it to be hard as nails. For a 6 level game that could be completed in 20-30 mins, I think it took me at least 6-7 hours. In game stats say I died 14 times but that seems a bit low to me, and there seems to be lots of issues with save files, achievements not unlocking, stats not recording properly so I'm not sure.

It is definitely fun though, and the music is fantastic, Danny Baranowsky again.

Now to beat it properly, when you beat it once you unlock the real final levels :( Gonna take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Team Meat have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Giantbomb Quick Look: [Link]

Lack of built-in controller support is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Super little game, can be hard as nails or as soft as poo. Well worth a fiver for anyone interested in the Indie gaming scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

This game is evil :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

(whatever the hell rougelike means)

..!

:sadface:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

This game runs like hell on my laptop. I hope I'm not the only one with this problem

I've had slow downs when there's a lot of activity on-screen but only when I've set it to fullscreen mode (that's on an e6320@2.9GHz and a HD4870)

I did have it running on my netbook but it was a tad on the sluggish side.

What spec is your laptop.

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Super little game, can be hard as nails or as soft as poo. Well worth a fiver for anyone interested in the Indie gaming scene.
    Difficulty is varied depending what powerups you get, but I haven't had any game that was easy. Finished it for the first time after about 20 attempts. Even then I had a blue mushroom that gave me a 1up, which I needed at the end.

It's very good fun, and quite disgusting :)

I have no slowdowns but I have highish spec computer.

• Advertisement

jonnybadd wrote: »
    Difficulty is varied depending what powerups you get, but I haven't had any game that was easy. Finished it for the first time after about 20 attempts. Even then I had a blue mushroom that gave me a 1up, which I needed at the end.

It's very good fun, and quite disgusting :)

I have no slowdowns but I have highish spec computer.

monstro 2 is pretty bugged. the first tiem I fought him I took no damage at all when I stood in the corner and was repeatedly blasted. the second time I fought him I disappeared and had to quit the game - which was irritating because I had a strong character with max damage.

edit: Gah the disappearing bug happened again :(. Think I won't get cain unlocked now dispite having loads of coins. Another strong character too :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I've had slow downs when there's a lot of activity on-screen but only when I've set it to fullscreen mode (that's on an e6320@2.9GHz and a HD4870)

I did have it running on my netbook but it was a tad on the sluggish side.

What spec is your laptop.
    I'm not well informed on computer specs so I can't really say. It's a cheapo Toshiba with an integrated graphics thinymibob.

I just would have thought something like this shouldn't strain it so much. It can play other flash games like Machinarium just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Trying to play this but the control scheme is terrible.

I can't get joytokey or xpadder working eitehr with this (works for other games) so kinda stuck.

BIG HALLOWEEN UPDATE (with no lame actual Halloween themes)
    pcgamer wrote:
    The Binding of Isaac was already quite evil. You play as a naked child fleeing for his life through a monster-infested basement to escape his mother, who has been commanded by god to slay Isaac as proof of her faith. Indiegames note that after the free Halloween update, you will be able to fight three new bosses, four new enemies and collect more than 20 new items if you successfully slay your mother ten times. The update also adds a new playable character, another ending, more achievements, more music, tarot cards and MORE EVIL.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/the-binding-of-isaac-gets-free-halloween-update-is-now-20-more-evil/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Only need to kill Mom six more times to get access to it (so, another year or so then...)

This is on sale right now on Steam for the princely sum of 249c

Go buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can't stop playing this game. Love it so much!

Grrr... Can't edit the first post :mad:

Wrath of the Lamb has just been released for €3 and the excellent base game is on sale for €2. No better time to get it!
    Steam wrote:
    About the Game
    The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb is the expansion to The Binding of Isaac, a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac’s form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

Key Features:
    100+ new items! (now over 235 items!)
    5+ new chapters!
    20+ new enemies!
    25 new achievements!
    15+ new bosses!
    6+ new room types!
    6+ new mysterious item drops (eternal hearts, playing cards, dimes and more!)
    5+ new music tracks by Danny B
    A new item type, Trinkets
    A new challenge mode with 10 unique challenges that unlock more content
    A new unlockable character, Samson (The Beserker)
    A new final (final) chapter and boss with new endings
    Tons of new random happenings, curses, blessings, npcs, fortune tellers and more!
    Also more super secrets than you'd probably expect... good luck finding them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First post edited to add new content.

Mr E wrote: »
    First post edited to add new content.

You, sir, are a star shaped starbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just bought Wrath of the Lamb, but cant figure out how to install... >_<
    If I right click The Binding of Isaac, and go to DLC in the properties, it shows "ValveTestApp113204", and is that it...?

[edit]
    Sorted, had to go to "Verify game cache" and that corrected it. Now shows "Wrath of the lamb" on the main menu screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Was really looking forward to this and i wasn't disappointed.

Widow scared the crap out of me when i met him/her in the first boss room so much that i had no idea what to do and my poor cain died on the first floor for the first time ever (and i'd consider myself an isaac veteran).

It does seem easier to become overpowered though as my run through was a breeze. Some really fun new enemies and power ups though and i wasn't disappointed by the new last boss either. (though having to find the new ending in your collection or whatever was a bit of a surprise).

Anyone know what those blood icon rooms with the solitary bed of spikes are meant to do? Do you get something if you sacrifice enough health in them or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Definitely worth playing, I had a lot of fun playing this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Anyone know what those blood icon rooms with the solitary bed of spikes are meant to do? Do you get something if you sacrifice enough health in them or something?

According to the wiki it spawns chests if you sacrifice a certain number of hearts. Bought and installed today, pretty good so far, new enemies are interesting, new power-ups more-so and the trinkets are a really nice new addition. Though in my first play-though became very overpowered quite quickly and the rest was a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Loving it so far, but I hate the spiders. ¬_¬ All three kinds, the little fast ones, the splitters, and the bigger jumping ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

This is a ridiculously good game. Got it in the hunble bundle it was in a good while back, only recently noticed the challenges. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Rebirth is coming out sometime this year, new items enemies and bosses. Really looking forward to it. They have fixed the items so they can be used together as well.

X35OvZp.jpg

bYNX7Bs.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement