Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumps

Options
  • 30-09-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a bit of good news for smokers; I was in a shop the other day when I overheard a conversation between the cigarette sales rep and the shopkeeper. Apparently cigarettes will now come with "bumps", these bumps are spaced evenly throughout the cigarette and will stop a cigarette from burning if they're left unattended, for want of a better explanation cigarettes will be self-extinguishing shortly. If they're smoked normally they won't go out. The reason they're doing it is to stop fires from unattended cigarettes.

I think it's a great idea, plus smokers should get longer out of a pack of smokes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rollie tobacco will go out if you don't keep taking drags, so I assumed the cig's just had a chemical in it to ensure it stays lit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

salt petre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Interesting. Following so I can find out which brands when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This was the reason I turned to rollies in the firest place. Working at the PC with "self smoking" Major cost me a fortune but rollies would go out and wait for me to come back to them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well ciggie tobacco is a hell of a lot drier and finer than rollie tobacco

• Advertisement

Even very dry rollie tobacco would go out.

yeah, but if you cut it up as fine as ciggie tobacco normallyu would be I don't think they would go out if you left them down, rollie tobacco has to do more work.. kinda needs that draw in from the smoker to move down the line whereas there's so many tiny dust like bits in cig tobacco that it just spreads down without any effort

I have a pouch of rollie tobacco left over from when I stopped smoking them. Must be about 8 years old. I'll powder some up and roll it and see how it burns. I love practilce experiments. :)

lol:D

to do it properly though, empty out a cigarette and roll a rollie with cig tobacco so we don't have the issue of different rolling techniques to worry about :p

Ooooh I like where this is going. I shall even use various filters, roaches and skins.
    I might video document the entire process for future generations to wonder at. I have a white lab coat somewhere in the back of the wardrobe. :cool:

• Advertisement

i'll email a friend up on the ISS to see if we can get it done at Og

We should apply for a research grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

OldGoat wrote: »
    We should apply for a research grant.

Post a thread in Clearasil and Hormones, this has Young Scientist Winner written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭dunnaman93

Just rolled a one from a cracked benson ciggie I had, used blue rizzlas and the the original filter from the cig itself, wasnt too tight at all, lit it and it extuingeshed itself!

IMO it must be something in the paper normal cigarettes are rolled in!

Think this or something similar has begun with Pall Mall 100s.
    The last three packs Ive bought the cigs go out if left idle for about two minutes. The top just seems to go flat with a tiny bit of ash left (kinda like the old joke shop cigarettes that you could blow on).
    They dont have that 'stinky' smell when relit either.
    They dont look any different to me though and no 'bumps' that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Noticed this about a week ago.
    It's really ****ing irritating.

I smoke Silk Cut purple, and my lodger smokes Benson.

The purple are a bit more difficult to get a drag from, and the lodger said that the Benson were cutting the throat off him. Both Gallagher products, so I assume they got in there early.

Ive got used to it now with the Pall Mall. Its actually handy with the 100s as you can smoke it in two sessions.
    One thing Ive noticed though is if you smoke down to the butt the last lit bit just pops out as Im reaching for the ashtray which kinda contradicts the fire-safety aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

perhaps roll your own putting themselves out has somthing to do with the packing method of the tobacco as well as the rolling paper. i know this to be a issue with novice pipe smokers who somtimes need constant relighting rather than a occasional one.

on the plus side this means that cigg smokers wont laugh as much at me for having to relight my pipe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

dunnaman93 wrote: »
    Just rolled a one from a cracked benson ciggie I had, used blue rizzlas and the the original filter from the cig itself, wasnt too tight at all, lit it and it extuingeshed itself!

IMO it must be something in the paper normal cigarettes are rolled in!

Thats exactly it.

If you roll a cig with Rizla white it will stay burning when left alone. Rizla white are much thicker than the rest of the Rizla papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

bit off topic but has anyone noticed fags dont last p***ing time anymore about 5 drags and there gone i smoke silkcut purple are they making them with cheaper paper or tobacco or what:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

shamrock55 wrote: »
    bit off topic but has anyone noticed fags dont last p***ing time anymore about 5 drags and there gone i smoke silkcut purple are they making them with cheaper paper or tobacco or what:confused:

They've put 'speed bumps' on the paper that self extinguish the cigarette if it's not pulled on. It's an EU safety thing brought in here about 6 months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Previous 2 posts moved here from another thread where they were off-topic.

tHB

Advertisement