Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way to transfer money from ireland to uk bank

Options
  • 30-09-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

hi all

im currently in the uk doing training and have to transfer money over from my irish bank account to the training companies bank account every 5 days. the amount is £1000 gbp each time. total amount should be 7-8 thousand.

just transfered the first amount today and the cost was
    €1168.33 + €15 fee.

that was with aib. i also have a ulster bank account.

im wondering is there a better way to do it as between the charges and poor excnage rate ill loose quite a few euros in the end

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

What about SEPA payment? It should be free to send money that way.

Currency fair seems to be recommended on here by others a lot but I have never used them so can't give my own opinion.

edit/ I just checked with currency fair and it works out slightly more expensive.

What exchange are you basing this bad rate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Jet Black wrote: »
    What about SEPA payment? It should be free to send money that way.

Currency fair seems to be recommended on here by others a lot but I have never used them so can't give my own opinion.

edit/ I just checked with currency fair and it works out slightly more expensive.

What exchange are you basing this bad rate on?

thanks for your reply. with the sepa payments do i have to transfer the amount in euros? and do the calculation before hand.

i just took the excnage rate of xe.com which i really should as i know its not the best.

Even so the xe.com rate is .8591 the rate you got was .8559 only 4 euro in the difference.

They should be able to ring up the sepa processing center and get the rate on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Jet Black wrote: »
    Even so the xe.com rate is .8591 the rate you got was .8559 only 4 euro in the difference.

They should be able to ring up the sepa processing center and get the rate on the day.

spot on didnt realise that. 15e transfer fee wouldnt be long adding up, i shall ring aib on monday thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hey all

Is there any update on this? I need to pay a friend about £3000 for a car I bought. I have sent two payments already using AIB internet banking and it seems like I lost a huge amount in fees and bad exchange rates.

Any updates on what is best way to do 2 or 3 transfers of about £700 from Ireland to the UK?

What is this SEPA payment and what about travelex?

• Advertisement

Printer wrote: »
    Hey all

Is there any update on this? I need to pay a friend about £3000 for a car I bought. I have sent two payments already using AIB internet banking and it seems like I lost a huge amount in fees and bad exchange rates.

Any updates on what is best way to do 2 or 3 transfers of about £700 from Ireland to the UK?

What is this SEPA payment and what about travelex?

SEPA is single European payment area. You can transfer money from your account to any account in the EU once you have the BIC and iBAN, its free. It takes a little longer than swift payments, can't remember how much longer. I can't remember who does the conversion, its either sepa or the recieving bank. You have to go to the bank to do it.

Not sure what you mean by Travelex.

Advertisement