Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Publishing

Options
  • 30-09-2011 6:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello i got a strange email today about my masters thesis, from LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing.
    While searching for dissertations and theses from e-libraries, I became aware of the paper you submitted in 2010 for your postgraduate degree, entitled "my thesis name here".

LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing is an international publisher specializing since 2002 in the publication of high-quality dissertations and postdoctoral theses from renowned institutions worldwide.
    We were therefore wondering whether you would be keen on publishing the above mentioned work with us.
    That is to say, upon a successful evaluation of your work, we would make it available in printed form and market it worldwide through our global distributors at no cost to you.

It would be highly appreciated if you could confirm your interest with a reply email and we will send you a detailed brochure.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Anybody used these? Is the idea that you give them permission to add your thesis to their stock, which they would then sell on to people? and if it is bought you get a royalty or some such.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hello i got a strange email today about my masters thesis, from LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing.
    While searching for dissertations and theses from e-libraries, I became aware of the paper you submitted in 2010 for your postgraduate degree, entitled "my thesis name here".

LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing is an international publisher specializing since 2002 in the publication of high-quality dissertations and postdoctoral theses from renowned institutions worldwide.
    We were therefore wondering whether you would be keen on publishing the above mentioned work with us.
    That is to say, upon a successful evaluation of your work, we would make it available in printed form and market it worldwide through our global distributors at no cost to you.

It would be highly appreciated if you could confirm your interest with a reply email and we will send you a detailed brochure.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Anybody used these? Is the idea that you give them permission to add your thesis to their stock, which they would then sell on to people? and if it is bought you get a royalty or some such.

I got an email (the exact same) from
    These guys a while back and got incredibly excited. Then my head screwed back on and I googled them. Turns out it is technically legitimate but by 'publishing' with them you pretty much negate any publishing you might get to do from your thesis- papers and the odd chapter here and there. The hold your thesis and if someone buys a copy, it is printed in demand. Really, the only marketing they seem to do is listing on amazon...

These guys are known as 'vanity press', they don't edit, so you have no idea if what you're writing is correct. Apparently this kind of publishing is held in zero regard by academics, so while it sounds like a great idea, it could easily come back to bite you in the ass.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks! Was wondering if it was like that. As I don't plan to do anything with that work I may as well give it to them I suppose. Hope some buys one for some reason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Assuming your work is already publicly available, why do you need someone to publish it for you?

Advertisement