Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorbike on full car licence?

Options
  • 30-09-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

i heard to day from a chap that you are permited to drive a 50cc - 125cc motor bike with your full car licence , just wondering if its true :confused:

edit:stoned up grammer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Not true.

In the past if you have held a driving licence for category B, C, C1, D, D1, EB, EC, EC1, ED or ED1 since before 21 October 2006, it is also regarded as a licence for category M. M class is <50cc <50KMh.

Here are the facts on getting a motorcycle licence now:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Need to make sure the M is actually on your license as well. They stopped adding it automatically a few years ago. (Mine just has B and W on it).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

You can drive trikes on a full car licence with no bike licence. :) The Piaggio Mp3 for example comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

barura wrote: »
    You can drive trikes on a full car licence with
    no bike licence. :) The Piaggio Mp3 for example comes to mind.

so if i got a kawasaki ninja and put stableisers i would be sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not true.

In the past if you have held a driving licence for category B, C, C1, D, D1, EB, EC, EC1, ED or ED1 since before 21 October 2006, it is also regarded as a licence for category M. M class is <50cc <50KMh.

I assume you retain the right operate B, M, W cats on your pre 06 licence ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

ok cheers everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont know anything about bikes but it looks pretty serious now to get a bike licence.

Have I got this right -

Theory test for bike regardless of other licence held
    Apply for learner permit
    Do 16 hours training before being allowed on the road unsupervised
    Do test for full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont know anything about bikes but it looks pretty serious now to get a bike licence.

Have I got this right -

Theory test for bike regardless of other licence held
    Apply for learner permit
    Do 16 hours training before being allowed on the road unsupervised
    Do test for full licence.

That's about it, not to forget the 33bhp restriction which is there for two years after you pass your test. There is plenty of info over in the bike forum if your interested.

Had a little interest as I fell across some bike ads on donedeal. The bikes are great value but wont bother given all the hassle to get on the road. Im not saying its a bad thing to have some training before being let loose with a bike but it would be fairly time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Had a little interest as I fell across some bike ads on donedeal. The bikes are great value but wont bother given all the hassle to get on the road. Im not saying its a bad thing to have some training before being let loose with a bike but it would be fairly time consuming.

You would be amazed at the amount of people who buy bikes without checking what training is needed. It has always been harder to get a bike that a car, I have a few medium sized bikes 400-650cc, but it had been on my mind to go back to my youth and pick up a nice Vespa for the past few years. You pass you car test and you can go out and get a top of the range high powered car the next day, if you can afford it. With a bike you are restricted to 33bhp for the first two years after you test.

Anyway my brother had the same idea and went out and brought a Vespa 200cc only to discover his licence only covered him for up to a 125cc. I took it off him as he then picked up a legal 125cc, so we are both happy. He now has a vespa he is happy with and I have a project to work on over the coming years.

It's a difficult one in that contrary to what a lot of people think you cannot just throw your leg over a bike a ride off into the sunset. Training is a serious issue and is badly needed, however, I know a number of people who where considering getting a bike who where put off by the amount of hoops they are required to jump through.

• Advertisement

Are all 125cc bikes allowed in the first 2 years. Also, how much would the 16 hours training cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Are all 125cc bikes allowed in the first 2 years. Also, how much would the 16 hours training cost?

The 125cc or 11KW restriction is only relevant from 16 to 18yrs A1 Learners permit.

From 18 you can apply for an A learner permit, > 150cc, <25KW and <33bhp, you can also just apply for the A1, but not worth it imo.

IBT, the 16 hour training costs from 280-600, shop around.

oleras wrote: »

The 125cc or 11KW restriction is only relevant from 16 to 18yrs A1 Learners permit.

From 18 you can apply for an A learner permit, > 150cc, <25KW and <33bhp, you can also just apply for the A1, but not worth it imo.

IBT, the 16 hour training costs from 280-600, shop around.

Finally, I presume I need my own bike for the training. Am I allowed ride the bike to the training?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Finally, I presume I need my own bike for the training. Am I allowed ride the bike to the training?

No.

You can't get a permit without IBT, so you can't ride or get insurance on anything without a permit.

Most test places will include renting a bike as part of the lessons.

IMO you would be mad to buy a bike without having had lessons first.

Advertisement